What are the admissions criteria?
Certificate program applicants meet the same admission requirements as applicants to the MA program. Since students in both programs will be taking the same classes, it is essential that they have the same level of preparation for graduate study. There are four formal application deadlines each year—March 1 and August 1 for fall enrollment, October 1 and January 1 for spring enrollment. Application requirements:
- A completed application (online).
- Three confidential letters of recommendation.
- A writing sample demonstrating literary analysis.
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with an overall GPA of 3.0 or better.
- A minimum of five English literature courses beyond the first-year level with a grade of "B" or better.
The University of St. Thomas does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, or status with regard to public assistance in the employment of faculty or staff, the admission or treatment of students, or in the operation of its educational programs and activities.
Note: The University of St. Thomas is registered with the Minnesota Office of Higher Education pursuant to section 136A.61 to 136A.71. Registration is not an endorsement of the institution. Credits earned at the institution may not transfer to all other institutions.