Admission as a Non-Degree Student
You may want to consider our non-degree program option. Students in our non-degree program can take up to two 500-level courses. Admission at this status offers several opportunities and benefits--
- Tuition for non-degree courses is now offered at a 25% discount.
- You can "try on" the program--perfect if you have been out of school for a while or if you are not sure about pursuing a degree.
- You will participate as a full class member with a variety of students and have regular contact with faculty members.
- You will have an opportunity to develop a writing sample that can be used in the degree-seeking application.
- You can evaluate whether the program's offerings match your needs, interests, and abilities.
The non-degree admission option may also interest students whose schedules do not work with the usual application deadlines.
Deadlines for Online Application and Receipt of All Related Materials
Option #1: Regular non-degree admission
March 1 for summer or fall enrollment
October 1 for spring enrollment
Option #2: Special non-degree admission
May 1 for summer enrollment
August 15 for fall enrollment
January 15 for spring enrollment
Non-Degree-Seeking Application Requirements
- A completed application (online) to the College of Arts and Sciences graduate English program..
- A 2-3 page personal goal statement, telling us what made you decide to pursue an English degree at this time and how you see it fitting into your future plans. This statement can be submitted with the online application.
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with an overall GPA of 3.0 or better. Official sealed and stamped transcripts may be sent directly to the Graduate Admissions office at Box 5, 1000 LaSalle Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55403.
- A minimum of five English Literature courses beyond the first year level with a grade of "B" or better for English applicants, or a record of experience in the field of English literature.
A combination of at least five English and Creative Writing courses beyond the first year level, or a record of experience in the field of Creative Writing and/or Publishing.
Please note that non-degree students do not qualify for financial aid.
Questions? Please contact us at email@example.com.