School of Engineering Returning Student Scholarship Program
Up to 25 scholarships valued between $500 and $2,000 are made available for outstanding returning engineering students each academic year.
The scholarships are provided by the generous contributions from the Dale Irwin Hayes Scholarship Fund, the Samuel M. Paine Navy V-12 Memorial Scholarship Fund, the Michael and Rebecca Thyken Endowment, the Thomas Rowan Endowment, the Houliston STEPS Camp Alumni Scholarship, the Aaron Schuster Memorial Endowment, the John B. Brill Endowment, the Keith and Barbara Zell Endowment, the Shirley White Pearl Scholarship Fund, and the John E. Povolny Endowment.
We are truly grateful for the continued support of these sponsors. Through their generosity, the School of Engineering is able to offer a wide variety of scholarships. All scholarships look for academic success, but there are also some donors who specifically seek to support non-traditional students, students who demonstrate leadership and service, students with high financial need, and students from under-represented populations. All students are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must be enrolled in engineering at the University of St. Thomas during the 2017-2018 school year
- Applicants must be continuing their engineering studies at the University of St. Thomas during the 2018-2019 school year.
- Applicants must complete the online application by Feb. 10, 2018.
- A portion of the School of Engineering Returning Student Scholarships available are awarded only to applicants who have demonstrated financial need. Applicants who wish to be considered for need-based scholarships must have a completed 2017-2018 FAFSA form on record with the University of St Thomas. Note: There are many scholarship offerings that do not require the FAFSA.
Students who have met the scholarship eligibility requirements listed above are invited to submit an online scholarship application.
The online application will ask for the following:
- Written statement (300 words or less) that describes an experience that has shaped your character and/or your academic/career goals. Please, limit your essay to one main topic. Example topics include: a leadership role you took on, a volunteer experience, an extracurricular activity, or a work experience. Be sure to explain how the experience influenced you.
- A bullet list of post high school activities and accomplishments. (You may wish to include: leadership roles, research projects, clubs, conferences, athletics, music, church or volunteer activities.)
Please compile your materials before entering the application site as it does not allow you to save an incomplete application.
Please note, if you are a current recipient of the Michael and Rebecca Thyken Scholarship, the Dale Irwin Hayes Scholarship, or the Samuel M Paine Nave V-12 Memorial Scholarship, you will not need to submit a new essay. You should enter “applying for renewal” in the space provided in the online application instead.
Scholarship recipients will be notified in early May.
Apply Now (link to online application)
Questions regarding these scholarships or the application procedure may be directed to:
Main Engineering Office