The School of Education requires specific program testing to ensure our compliance with national accrediting bodies and to aid us in making admission decisions. Scores will be considered in admission and scholarship decisions. Please carefully review the dropdowns below to determine which test you need to take as part of your application process to the University of St. Thomas. Please contact us if you have questions on program requirements.
We also are a testing site for the Miller Analogies Test (MAT). Please see the dropdown below for more information. Please contact us if you have questions about our testing site.
You will need to take the Praxis or GRE if you are applying to the following programs:
- Elementary Education
- Secondary Education
- Communication Arts and Literature
- Earth Science
- Life Science
- Social Studies
- K-12 Physical Education with 5-12 Health
- K-12 World Language: Spanish
- K-12 Music
- Reading Licensure
- Special Education
- Academic Behavioral Strategist
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Developmental Disabilities
- Emotional Behavioral Disorders
- Early Childhood Special Education
- Learning Disabilities
Scores required to be considered for Regular Admission:
- Verbal - 151
- Quantitative - 153
- Writing - 4
- Reading -168
- Mathematics - 162
- Writing - 165
If your scores fall below the above scores to be considered for Regular Admission, your application may be considered for a second faculty review. This process will likely delay you receiving your decision in the typical one-week time frame.
Note: As part of the initial licensure process, candidate scores on the GRE admission test might be used to show basic skills competency. Currently, Praxis scores cannot be used in place of the basic skills exam for licensure. View Minnesota Teacher Licensure Testing Information.
You will need to take the GRE or MAT if you are applying to the following programs:
- Math Education Certificate
- Engineering Education Certificate
- Autism Spectrum Disorders Certificate
Here's what you need to know about taking the MAT at the University of St. Thomas:
- Test times are available every week, based on availability.
- The cost for taking the MAT at the University of St. Thomas is $85; we accept all major credit cards as payment.
- No refunds are available and you are required to arrive 15 minutes prior to your testing appointment.
- The exam takes exactly 1 hour and is administered electronically.
- You can expect to receive your official test scores within 10 business days.
- Pearson offers practice tests and tools to help you prepare for taking the exam. Please visit www.MillerAnalogies.com to learn more.
- If you are taking the MAT to fulfill an application requirement for a different institution, please check with your admissions counselor.
Please contact us to learn about the next available test time and to register for the exam.