The Career Development Center and Pre-Health Professions Advising offer resources to assist you on your health profession career journey.
Explore Health Careers
The health care field is full of employment possibilities and demand is high for skilled employees in this industry. There are more than 100 career areas within health care – knowing how you might fit into these roles is an important step.
- Visit the St. Thomas Pre-Health Professions page for information about popular careers in healthcare and how majors align with pre-requisite classes for health professional school.
- See a Career Educator to determine if a healthcare career is a good fit for you and to explore the many career opportunities in the health care industry.
- Visit ExploreHealthCareers.org to learn about various healthcare careers.
Part of learning more about a career is exploring through experience. Internships, jobs, shadowing, and volunteer experiences are often required pieces of your application to health professional programs. While the requirements for admission vary depending on the program and school, it is recommended that you have some direct patient care experience.
- Consider part-time and summer activities or jobs to gain valuable patient-care and healthcare-related experience.
- Learn about Informational Interviewing as a way to explore careers
- Join St. Thomas Connect to gain exclusive access to alumni who are ready and eager to help you with career questions and career development.
- Visit Pre-Health Professions Advising to learn about volunteer opportunities in healthcare settings.
- Look for Internships or volunteering opportunities on TommieCareers
- Connect with Tommie Alumni on LinkedIn
To learn about pre-requisite classes, application resources, and receive email updates, join ‘Pre-Health Tommies’ course on Canvas.