Cover Letter Tips
A winning cover letter :
- Is no more than one page
- Highlights how your experiences fit the job description
- Is grammatically perfect
- Contains the name of a specific person to address your letter to. If you can’t find a name, use “Hiring Manager”, “Search Committee”, “Internship Coordinator”, etc.
- Is professional - “Dear Mr. Jones” for a greeting. “Sincerely, Your Name” as a closing
- Indicates where you heard of the job opening
- Is unique and targeted for each position
- Demonstrates your knowledge of the position and the company
- Contains accomplishments from work or volunteer experiences that are related to the job
- Tells the employer what you will contribute.
- Isn't just a list of skills, but explains how you have used those skills.
Cover Letter Guidebook
Download or review our Cover Letter guidebook for assistance with writing your cover letters.