Sun shining through trees

Browse some of the frequently asked questions about financial aid at the University of St. Thomas.

How much does it cost to attend St. Thomas?

You can find all our cost information here.

What types of scholarships and financial aid are available for students?

There are many types of financial aid. Learn more here.

How do I apply for financial aid?

Students in need of financial assistance must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). St. Thomas does not require a separate application for institutional financial aid. The St. Thomas federal school code for the FAFSA is 002345.

How do I contact my personal Financial Aid Counselor?

You can find your financial aid counselor’s contact information here. 

How do I get work-study or a job on campus?

Student employment positions are posted online beginning in late July-early August. Students are responsible for finding a job that fits with their class schedule. There is no guarantee of employment, but most students are able to find an on-campus job. The average hourly wage for student employment is $7.25. On average, students work 10 to 12 hours per week during the school year. All students at St. Thomas may seek on-campus employment.

When is the financial aid deadline?

St. Thomas does not have a financial aid deadline, but the priority date is April 1. Students who have a complete financial aid file by this date will receive maximum consideration from all aid programs. After April 1, the financial aid office cannot guarantee that all aid opportunities will still be available.

Do students have to apply for financial aid each year?

Yes. Students must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) every year to be considered for need-based financial aid programs.

When is a student considered financially independent?

The FAFSA determines your dependency status as part of your application for aid. An undergraduate student will always be considered a dependent of his/her parent(s) unless he/she is:

  • 24 years old before the first filing date for that academic year’s FAFSA;
  • pursuing a graduate degree or certificate (NOT teacher licensure);
  • married at the time the FAFSA is filed;
  • providing more than half of the financial support for a dependent (other than a spouse) and will continue to provide that support from July 1 to June 30 of the upcoming academic year;
  • a veteran of the armed forces; or
  • an orphan or a ward of the court until age 18.

There are additional provisions pertaining to homeless youth, emancipated minors and legal guardianship. Contact your financial aid counselor for those details.

Is financial aid available for studying abroad?

Financial aid may be used to pay for most study abroad costs. We encourage students to meet with their financial aid counselor to determine program costs and financial responsibilities.

I need more financial aid. What should I do?

Students with financial aid concerns are encouraged to contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss their financial situation with their personal financial aid counselor.