Frequently Asked Questions

What are the English proficiency requirements at St. Thomas?

Can I study English as a Second Language at the St. Thomas campus?


You can apply to the ELS Language Center in St. Paul, which is located on the University of St. Thomas campus.

  • All students at ELS in St. Paul receive a St. Thomas student ID card and a St. Thomas e-mail address.
  • St. Paul ELS students who have been conditionally admitted to undergraduate studies at St. Thomas may participate in our USTEP program once they reach high levels of English proficiency.
    • To apply for conditional admission to an undergraduate program at St. Thomas, click here.
    • To apply to ELS, click here.