Online Chemistry Placement Exam
Undergraduate students in programs that require chemistry must take the Chemistry Placement Exam (instructions below).
Your score on the Chemistry Placement Exam, combined with your score on the Math Placement Exam (held during Orientation), will determine your first chemistry course at St. Thomas.
In preparing for this exam, you might brush up on a few things, but in general the chemistry department does not encourage you to study too much for it. If you receive a low score, you can still take chemistry.
You can even be a chemistry major! You will simply receive more help.
The Online Chemistry Placement Exam is only available if you are studying one of the subjects below or receive special permission from the Chemistry department.
Please take this exam before you leave your home country.
Jet-lag and the excitement of orientation will make it difficult to take the exam after you arrive.
Majors, Minors, and Pre-Professional Programs That Require Chemistry
- Biochemistry (major)
- Biology (major, minor)
- Chemistry (major, minor)
- Environmental Science (major)
- Health and Human Performance Exercise Science (major)
- Neuroscience (major)
- Pre-Health programs:
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Pre-Veterinary Medicine
- Set up your Murphy password and security questions (click here for instructions).
- Log into Murphy.
- Select Student Services.
- Select Placement Exam(s) (Current, International, or Transfer Students Only).
- Under Chemistry Placement Test, read all of the instructions.
- Prepare yourself to take the exam in a peaceful location.
It is a timed exam, and you may only take it once.
- When you are ready, click the "Click here to start the examination" button.
If you would like to take the exam, follow steps 1-4, and the Online Chemistry Placement Exam is not available to you, email firstname.lastname@example.org for help.