Student Concerns and Complaints

At the earliest stages, a concern or complaint may be resolved with the support, involvement or intervention of a university faculty or staff member. It is advisable to voice concerns as soon as possible, and to seek informal resolution if possible, as this facilitates early resolution. Raising an issue can often resolve a problem quickly and informally; a complaint (which may, for instance, be founded on misunderstanding or disagreement) can sometimes simply require a discussion between parties, without the need for any further action.

If, however, a student feels that a complaint has not been dealt with satisfactorily he/she should use the appropriate formal university process to have the issue addressed. After exhausting the university process if a student still has a concern or complaint he/she may express their concern to the appropriate state authorizer or accrediting body.


Students enrolled in distance education courses through the University of St. Thomas may submit initial complaints concerning their courses or programs to the University of St. Thomas program for resolution. If the complaint is not resolved through contact with the University of St. Thomas program a complaint may be forwarded to the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) representative at the Minnesota Office of Higher Education.  Information on SARA can be found at  Contact information for the Minnesota Office of Higher Education is listed below:

Institutional Licensing and Registration 
Minnesota Office of Higher Education 
1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350 
Saint Paul, MN 55108