Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate an understanding of a variety of literary genres, traditions, and texts.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how literature is read and interpreted through various historical, theoretical, and other extra-textual perspectives.
- Demonstrate an understanding of current issues in the discipline, including an awareness of the ways in which texts are situated in literary and cultural debates.
- Demonstrate an ability to define and carry out a major research project, including drafting a proposal and bibliography, conducting extensive research in primary and secondary texts, selecting an appropriate critical lens, and writing multiple drafts to complete an article-length study.
- Demonstrate an awareness of one's own reading, writing, and analytical practices as processes; translate self-reflection on one's own strengths and weaknesses as a critic/writer into effective practices of revision and oral commentary on research.