Specialized Accreditation

Specialized (or program) accreditation agencies evaluate particular units, schools, or programs within an organization. Some are discipline-based and many are also associated with national professional associations and state licensing.

Institutional accreditation is separate from specialized accreditation, although the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) does recognize the standards set by professional bodies. The Higher Learning Commission will continue accreditation on its own Criteria for Accreditation and processes and will evaluate the entire institution, but will take into consideration actions taken or issued by any recognized institutional, specialized or professional accrediting agency. (Information from https://www.hlcommission.org/Policies/relations-with-other-accrediting-agencies.html) 

St. Thomas Specialized Accreditors
AccreditorProgramsAccreditation PeriodCurrent StatusNext Review
Accreditation Board for Engineering & Technology (ABET) Undergraduate Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, and Computer Engineering programs in the School of Engineering 6 years re-accredited in 2017 2022-2023
American Bar Association (ABA) The J.D. program in the University of St. Thomas Law School 7-10 years accreditation reaffirmed in 2016 2022-2023
American Chemical Society (ACS) B.S. program in Chemistry in the College of Arts & Sciences 6 years approval continued in 2014 2018
American Psychological Association (APA) Doctor of Psychology program in the Graduate School of Professional Psychology about 8 years re-accredited in 2016 2023
Association of Theological Schools (ATS) Master of Divinity, Master of Arts in Pastoral Ministry, Master of Arts in Religious Education, and Master of Arts in Theology in the School of Divinity 10 years accreditation reaffirmed in 2014 2023
Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International (AACSB International) All graduate and undergraduate programs in the Opus College of Business except certificate programs 5 years accreditation extended in 2016 2020-2021
Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education (CAHME) Health Care MBA in the Opus College of Business 7 years re-accredited in 2016 2023-2024
Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) Baccalaureate and Master's programs in the School of Social Work 8 years accreditation reaffirmed in 2012 2019
National Association of Schools of Music (NASM) All programs in the Department of Music in the College of Arts & Sciences 5 or 10 years membership is renewed in 2017  

National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education

 Teacher Education and Special Education programs in the School of Education   accreditation continued in 2013  2019