Meeting Minutes, May 23, 2012
Wednesday, May 23, 2012
11:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
Attendees: Deb Cattoor, Barb Dunker, Mike Elwell, Corey Getchell, Christine Igielski, Julie Jepma , Barb Joynson, Lisa Keiser, Julie Kimlinger, Jeanne Kittleson, Pa Nhia Lee, Maureen Murphy, Kathy Sauro, Ann Schiffer, Brittney Wolf
Absent: Jeff Akemann, Nancy Bruggeman, Roger Cooney
1. Reflection: Chris Igielski
2. Approve Minutes: Minutes from the April 17, 2012 meeting were unanimously approved.
3. Committee Updates – No updates at this time. Replacements for seats being vacated will be determined at the June meeting.
4. Old Business:
Spring Brown Bag – Container Gardening
Brittney, who coordinated the event, reported that the Container Gardening session held on April 23
, and presented by Barb Voorhees-Blaha on the Minneapolis campus was very interesting and educational. Approximately 8-10 people were in attendance.
Caregivers Support Group Session
Barb announced that the next gathering of the caregivers group will be held on Thursday, June 21
at 12:00 p.m. Pat Stankovitch, Director of Psychological Services at the Inter-professional Center for Counseling and Legal Services at UST, has graciously agreed to facilitate a discussion with us (likely on the St. Paul campus).
Notes for New Members-How to find NESC Past Information on the Website
Per Chris, the instructions for accessing this information are as follows:
c> UST-deptstore1 (enter)
d> Department folder
e> Staff Council folder
f> Non-Exempt folder
Notebook Hand Over
Chris asked that individuals leaving the council, please give their binders to incoming members.
To be discussed in further detail at the June meeting.
5. New Business:
The following items were briefly touched on due to the abbreviated meeting, and will be
discussed in more detail at future meetings:
New Council-Items to Consider for Next Year
By-Laws Review (Last revision 2005?)
Meeting Schedule/Day/Time/2 Campus Videoconference Nov-Feb?
Chris expressed her appreciation to the exiting members of the council for their dedication. She also presented Barb Dunker with a gift for always going the extra mile for the group!
Thank you, Chris for all your hard work as chair during your term as well…you will be missed!!
The new members were welcomed and introduced.
Meeting Adjourned at 1:00 p.m.
Thursday, June 21st from 1:30-3:00 p.m.
Location: To be Determined (on the St. Paul Campus)
Meeting Minutes, June 21, 2012
NESC Meeting Minutes
Thursday, June 21, 2012
1:30 – 3:00 pm Room 237 Anderson Student Center
Members Present: Debbie Cattoor, Barb Dunker, Corey Getchell, Julie Jepma, Barb Joynson, Lisa Keiser, Julie Kimlinger, Pa Nhia Lee, Kathy Sauro, Ann Schiffer.
Unable to attend: Mike Elwell, Brittney Wolf.
Reflection: Barb shared her thoughts on the importance of generosity of heart, valuing people, listening to what they have to say, and growing in order to give. She thanked the members for being willing to serve on this committee and invited us all to lead by example so that we might help make the university a success.
Finding NESC past information in Deptstore: If anyone is having trouble finding the Staff Council folders in deptstore please contact Barb. Just a reminder of the steps: Start; Run; UST-deptstore1; (click OK); Deptsl-q; Staff Council; Non-Exempt.
Officers selected for upcoming year:
President – Barb Dunker
Vice-President – Lisa Keiser
Secretary – Brittney Wolf and Julie Kimlinger
Treasurer – Corey Getchell
Meeting Schedule for 2012-2013:
It was agreed that we will try to meet on the second Thursday of each month at 2pm during the academic year. This summer in July and August we will begin at 1:30 instead of 2:00 to accommodate the Mpls-St. Paul shuttle schedule. We will plan to videoconference the November and December meetings.
Tentative Meeting Schedule and Requested Locations:
(please see updated schedule -- now posted on website)
July 12 1:30 – 3:00 Mpls TMH 289
August 9 1:30 – 3:00 St. Paul ASC 237
September 13 2:00 – 3:30 St. Paul ASC 237
October 11 2:00 – 3:30 Mpls TMH 289
November 8 2:00 – 3:30 Videoconference TMH 290 and LIB 102
December 13 2:00 – 3:30 Videoconference TMH 290 and LIB 102
January 10 2:00 – 3:30* St. Paul ASC 237
February 14 2:00 – 3:30 Mpls TMH 289
March 14 2:00 – 3:30 St. Paul ASC 237
April 11 2:00 – 3:30 Mpls TMH 289
May 9 2:00 – 3:30 St. Paul ASC 237
You will receive Outlook Calendar meeting invitations so that you can get these dates and times on your calendars.
*If J-term shuttle warrants, we could have the January meeting at 1:30 instead of 2:00 pm.
Barb distributed monthly calendars for all to use – if you did not get a set please let Barb know.
- Lisa distributed descriptions of the University Committees which welcome representation from the Non-Exempt Staff Council. Descriptions will be posted in deptstore. Members volunteered to serve in these ways:
Academic and Administrative Advisory Council (AAAC) Barb Dunker
Affirmative Action (AAC) Debbie Cattoor; Barb Joynson, alternate
Budget Advisory (BAC) Julie Jepma; Corey Getchall, alternate
Fringe Benefits (FBAC) Kathy Sauro and Pa Nhia Lee; Brittney Wolf, alternate (?)
Human Resources Advisory Committee (HRAC) Ann Schiffer; Pa Nhia Lee alternate
Library Leisure Reading Selection Committee Barb Dunker
Each member will write up reports from their committees and keep Council up to date on developments.
- Lisa also distributed a description of the committees within the Council and these volunteers will serve:
Elections Committee Lisa Keiser, Kathy Sauro, Julie Jepma
Website/Media/Publicity Julie Kimlinger, Ann Schiffer, and Debbie Cattoor
*This committee will incorporate the work previously done by the Bulletin Board committee
Welcoming Committee Pa Nhia Lee, Debbie Cattoor, Barb Joynson, and Ann Schiffer
*Send throughout the year to all new staff members a welcome message – this message is an important first contact with the NESC and will be worked on during next meeting.
*Send to all non-exempt staff an anniversary greeting
Appreciation Breakfast Entire Committee – Corey Getchell in particular
*This committee will incorporate the work previously done by the Charitable Giving committee
Design ways to better communicate with our constituents who we are, what we do, and how they can become active and participate –
Brainstorming on outreach ideas:
– talk to them - Seek out ideas from the people working in your areas and bring to the Council
– place posters where they will be seen, for example by the timeclocks in Physical Plant
– create a presence on Facebook; ask custodial staff supervisors to remind PHP staff of our support for them; -
– ask John Bannigan to share some time with us while he makes his rounds so we can invite PHP and Food Service employees to become more active and aware of staff council activities and issues
– invite all to meet the candidates in person at a noon-brown bag – include pictures of who is running for office if they are willing – offer incentives to all who vote
– let staff know of the benefits gained by keeping funds on your Express Card – hold a brown bag about these things
– Invite all to an Ice Cream social to reach out and share these tips – decide date at July meeting
– Learn about the Verizon discounts and share that information
– Gain access to the non-exempt distribution lists – send messages more often
– August 12 Twins Tickets – will be for sale in Tommie Center
– Sell updated Cookbooks – add pages – perhaps a gluten free section – special diets –
– Homecoming Taste of Saints – bundle the cookbooks with the popular mittens!
– Invite Sara Gross Methner of Human Resources to upcoming meeting to touch on questions regarding Roth IRA, Healthcare program, performance evaluations, donation of vacation hours; job sharing; changes in tuition remission benefits.
– Invite Brian Brown from University Relations – tell about University Relations ways to help us get word out about the work of Staff Council
– Send ideas as they come to you to Barb Dunker
Next Meeting will be July 12 at 1:30 1:00 pm in TMH 289
Reflection: Lisa Keiser
Meeting Minutes, July 12, 2012
NESC Meeting Minutes
Thursday, July 12, 2012
1:00 - 2:30 pm
Attendees: Debbie Cattoor, Barb Dunker, Mike Elwell, Corey Getchell, Julie Jepma , Barb Joynson, Lisa Keiser, Julie Kimlinger, Pa Nhia Lee, Ann Schiffer, & Brittney Wolf
Absent: Kathy Sauro
1) Reflection: Group Reflection
2) Approve Minutes: Minutes from the June 21, 2012 were unanimously approved.
3) Committee Reports – No updates
4) August 9 Council Meeting
- The meeting will be held from 11:00 – 3:00pm in order to address goals; the council’s past, present and future; and to meet with Sara Gross Methner (HR) to discuss PLT and health-related benefits.
- Prior to meeting with Sara, the council will prepare a list of 3-4 items to discuss. The council came up with 3 items that need to be discussed with Sara (this list will be finalized on August 9, prior to Sara’s appearance at 2:00pm):
- Donating vacation
- Wellness Programs coming up
- Performance Evaluations – Goals section, no incentive for bettering one’s self, or no marked measurability
- Council may also speak with Sarah about the voluntary retirement incentive program that existed a few years ago, the program’s limitations on who could participate, and if the program will be offered again.
- Corey Getchell (Treasury) will prepare a budget report in August.
5) President’s Staff Meeting (Fall semester)
- The NESC and the ESC have been invited to attend a President’s Staff meeting in September/October
- In preparation for the meeting, Barb asked the council to come up with items and/or concerns to bring forward to the President and Board members. A few items were discussed by NESC:
- Are staff members being stretched too thin with multiple job duties because of positions left empty – i.e. not replacing staff when someone quits or retires?
- In-house catering menu causing additional expenses for student groups/clubs who have limited budgets. Can there be more price breaks for groups?
- Further discussion on the topic will take place at August’s meeting. NESC will also add any staff concerns to Barb’s discussion list.
- In light of the discussion on the policies regarding travel and internal catering, the council would like to invite Karen Harthorn to a future meeting in order to explain why such policies exist and how they save the university money. (The meeting with Karen would also address other staff/student concerns about the policies to light.)
6) Goal Setting
- This item will be discussed at August’s council meeting. Council was asked to think of goals and/or ideas for next month’s meeting.
7) Follow-ups from June meeting
A) NESC Web page (Debbie Cattoor, Julie Kimlinger, and Ann Schiffer)
- On July 25th Julie, Debbie and Ann will be trained on the new program taking over Collage. After this time they will add new features to the NESC page and begin brainstorming on how to make the site better.
- They would like to add a FAQ section, suggestion box, a help button, more pictures, a “New to UST” page for new employees, and surveys.
- Sarah Ramler (possible Ad hoc) could help take pictures and work with qualities surveys.
- Debbie encouraged everyone to look at the page and figure out what to keep, update, or get rid of. Council members may e-mail any page suggestions to Debbie, Julie, or Ann and they will bring these ideas to Leif Johnson.
B) Communicating available benefits to staff (Pa Nhia Lee & Ann Schiffer)
- Ann and Pa created a quarter-sheet handout listing the benefits of employment and what you can do with your UST ID. Handout will be available at the ice-cream social and other NESC sponsored events.
C) Welcoming Ideas (Debbie Cattoor, Barb Joynson, Pa Nhia Lee, & Ann Schiffer)
- An example of the welcome card that will go out to new employees was handed out to the council. Suggested changes were made.
- Welcome card will also include coupons for new employees – including 20% discount at the bookstore in September, discount at the service center for personal projects, and a coupon for Coffee Bene.
8) Twins game tickets
- Discussion held by council as to whether the council should sell tickets to a Twins game in August. Last year the council purchased 75 tickets and was able to sell these; however, it took a while. This year the anticipated game date is early August, leaving little time for promotion.
- Suggestions were made to either sell a smaller quantity of tickets or table the NESC Twins game till next year.
- Decision: Due to the limited interest in tickets this year and lack of promotion time the council decided to table the event till next year.
- Next Time – In preparation for next month’s meeting, everyone should think about the following:
- Goals for next year
- The Appreciation Breakfast – What to do about those that work during this time? Do something different? Plan for a different day?
- How can NESC communicate with staff?
Meeting adjourned at 2:06pm
Minutes by Brittney Wolf
Meeting Minutes, August 9, 2012
Non-Exempt Staff Council
August 9, 2012 11:00 am – 3:00 pm
Members present: Barb Dunker, Corey Getchell, Julie Jepma, Barb Joynson, Lisa Keiser, Julie Kimlinger, Pa Nhia Lee, Ann Schiffer, Brittney Wolf, Kathy Sauro.
Unable to attend: Debbie Cattoor, Mike Elwell.
Reflection: Life’s Journey – Lisa shared this reading twice – first, asking us to focus on the meaning of this reading in relation to our own lives. On the second reading of it, we listened for its meaning for us as members of the NESC.
Approving July Meeting Minutes: All are asked to review the minutes from July meeting and send edits to Brittney by Monday, August 13.
Brainstorming Session: Review list of past activities, add suggestions for new activities, hold each up to mission statement and prepared questions in exercise to help define our goals and also select and prioritize activities for the coming year. We will take a second look at the list of ideas to see how feasible, realistic, and aligned with our mission they are.
The NESC aspires to build a strong and healthy workplace by
fostering communication with the University’s administration and its constituents,
identifying and advocating for common interests,
focusing on collaboration, and
building community within the University.
- Appreciation Event – Breakfast
A suggestion of having a Happy Hour rather than Breakfast was considered, but it was noted that the Breakfast is already quite well-attended and it might be better to try these improvements and keep it as a Breakfast: offer more time for socializing, less of a formal program; give more time for browsing the auction items and making bids; consider some music or entertainment; run slideshow in background showing staff at their various places of work; take pictures during the Breakfast and post on the site. At September meeting look at date for the breakfast – usually in April. Can NESC members help clean up? Help replenish buffet table? Offer a meal coupon to those who have to work the event?
2. Gratitude Project
Perhaps post “shout-outs” on the website from people who have messages of gratitude to share, or thank you’s to give to staff for various good works –
3. Volunteer to help with Commencement
This is an event that requires many volunteers – help with seating, handing out programs, giving out water – encourage staff to volunteer – something we can advertise throughout the years so that people know of ways they can help – talk more about this in November.
4. Anniversary and Welcome cards throughout year
This will continue as it definitely helps with our visibility and builds community – along with the welcome cards given to new staff members as they come to work at St. Thomas, they are given a welcome package via personal delivery that includes a bookstore coupon, info sheet of tips to free benefits, a free coffee card, magnetic screen cleaner, coupon for service center; alum kindness t-shirt.
5. Twins Game/Saints Game/Some Type of Outing
More thought will be given to this.
Barb Joynson showed a delightful way to package the remaining cookbooks for sale – all committee members appreciated her creativity and offered to help in any way necessary to make a success of the Purple mixing bowl - Tommie hot pads - Cookbook package by selling them in the UST bookstores and advertising with them at our events.
Proceeds from the Cookbook sales help fund the Scholarship Fund and Barb explained further that people who wish to make donations to the Scholarship Fund may do so through payroll deductions and the committee will be sure to inform all staff of this opportunity.
7. Freecycle –
We will contact Paul Hietpas to see if we could coordinate this event with the work of the Recycling Team on campus – we will collect used but still good office supplies and staff from across campus can come and help themselves to items they might need. Whatever remains after the event can be recycled. Location and date yet to be determined, but we will try to make this happen in late September or early October – and perhaps do it along the east side of the football field or on the library patio. Dave Lepp will be contacted to see about schedule –
Things we believe will be useful for the event: papers, pens, folders, hanging files, clips, staplers, tape holders, small desk holders. We are not looking for furniture or file cabinets, chairs, IRT computer related equipment, or other large items. Once date is set we’ll advertise to campus so they know it’s coming and they can start making boxes of things to bring on the drop off date. One or two days after that, we’ll have the event.
8. Blood Drive – Wellness is looking for others to take responsibility for these events
The Wellness Center is looking to hand off responsibility for future Blood Drives and they have approached the Non-Exempt Council to help find a new host. Barb will invite Birdie Cunningham to a future meeting to discuss what is involved in hosting the blood drives on campus.
9. Brown Bag Sessions/Book Swap/J-Term Events
More thought will be put into topics for brown bag sessions – and we’ll try to host a cocoa and cookie event during J-Term as a social and informational community building event – we will include election information at this time and introduce the details of the annual Appreciation Award. Another event to promote during J-term is a book swap among staff. More about this in future meetings.
10. HR topics – Purchase additional PLT; donate vacation time
11. Collecting School Supplies
12. Ad Hoc Community Service events – be aware of opportunities for collections of food, baby clothes, household items, etc. depending on the circumstance
13. Greeters at Fr. Dease’s Christmas Dinner
Barb will ask event planner if there are ways the NESC can help. It will be in Woulfe Hall this Christmas, 2013.
14. Leadership Academy classes – suggest more offerings during summer months
15. Annual NESC Scholarships Awards
We will work to make constituents aware that they can designate any gift they give to St. Thomas campaigns to be used for this award.
16. Fundraising Activities
Not a high priority of this group.
17. Ice Cream Social/Donut and Coffee Welcome Event on same day as student walk through arches
We liked the idea of a donut-and-coffee table to welcome all to coincide with the walk through the arches. We talked about setting up on Monahan Plaza – perhaps in Mpls too – during Welcome Week along with the Interfaith Blessing event on Tuesday Sept 4. In addition to the donuts and coffee we can distribute information about the Council, the work it does throughout the year, and how to get involved -- similar handouts to the ones included in the welcome package to new staff.
Booth - Lisa K. and Julie Jepma will do the booth
Set up table at 7:45 am until 9am
300 assorted donuts and coffee
18. Wellness concerns – workout facility access to staff who work on Mpls campus
Barb explained that our committee begins each year with $4900 budget which funds the activities we wish to carry out during the year – for example, the Annual Appreciation Breakfast, Exempt and Non-Exempt Forum in October, back to school Ice Cream Social.
Mike Cogan asked for representative from NESC to help with a current Climate Study as follow up to the 2007 Study – Lisa K will do this.
November 1st is the date for the Joint Forum for Exempt and Non-Exempt Staff Councils – It will be from 11:45 am until 1pm in Woulfe Hall, simulcast to Mpls, and will include the traditional chili lunch.
The President’s Staff Meeting will be October 8th.
Some more ideas for the NESC website – book blog and textbook exchange; highlight a department each month; post pictures of appreciation breakfast auction items. Invite Sarah Ramler to September meeting to talk about ideas she can help with on our website. All members are asked to get photos taken and send to Sarah and she will place on our Membership page on the website. Appointments have been made for all who are eligible to have new photo taken – others please use photos on file.
Some topics addressed by Sara Gross Methner of Human Resources:
Legal aspects of campus life
Human Resources and Personnel issues
Promote HR health changes – Sara asked for our help in getting constitutents to carefully review the information in the upcoming health plans, understand the changes presented, and make the best choice of plan that will be best deal for individual and family.
More comprehensive Wellness Program will be in place – online component – she will set up focus groups this fall – would like help from NESC to encourage participation in the Wellness Programs – she anticipates a defensive phase at first, but then people will come to realize they do feel better if they follow good health care practices.
She would like to see a more consistent “Onboarding Process” for new employees as they come to St. Thomas so that is consistently positive for them.
There will be multi-year manager training programs started – better tools to deal with situations for people who are promoted to manager positions - will work to get better offerings from the Leadership Academy. Feedback can be sent to Carolyn Milbraith of Human Resources.
Unpaid leaves can be worked out with supervisors
Job Sharing? No program yet for this – it is not a cost saver because benefits are paid to both people.
Performance Assessment – will be reviewed.
Mpls Campus Wellness? Difficult – no place to build a gym – encourages all to make use of the refunds offered by various health insurances for those who are members of a gym.
Talent Management system? Changes have just recently been made to this program.
Meeting Minutes, September 13, 2012
NESC Meeting Minutes
September 13, 2012
Present: Deborah Cattoor, Barb Dunker, Corey Getchell, Julie Jepma, Barb Joynson, Lisa Keiser, Julie Kimlinger, Pa Lee, Kathy Sauro, Ann Schiffer, Brittney Wolf
Regrets: Mike Elwell
- I. Blood Drive – Birdie Cunningham (Guest)
- Birdie attended the meeting to ask the council if they would be interested in hosting the Red Cross Blood Drive. The event occurs twice a year at UST. Birdie (of the Wellness Center) has been responsible for the blood drive for several years and is looking for a different area or program to take over the drive.
- The blood drive is pretty self-sufficient. The Wellness Center is only responsible for reserving a space and providing volunteers for check-in and the canteen station. The Red Cross supplies everything else, including food and nursing staff. The event lasts two days and they are willing to work with whoever hosts the event as to when it will be held.
- The NESC discussed the responsibilities involved in taking on this yearly commitment. Many members were concerned about passing the responsibility onto future members and about the drive being dropped or becoming a burden. The drive may be better suited for a department or stable club that will not have a yearly change in membership.
- The NESC voted on whether or not to take on the Blood Drive.
- Vote: All members were in agreement that the council should not take on the drive. It does not fit the goals of the council. The council appreciates what the drive does, but given the NESC’s mission and plans for this year, it will not be in the council’s (or the Red Cross’) best interest to take on this event.
- II. Minutes from August – Approved with minor edits
(Moved to approve by Kathy S. and seconded by Corey G.)
- III. Budget Update – Corey G.
- Only the Target receipts have been subtracted from the budget. Corey G. is waiting on receipts from Catering for August’s lunch and the two Coffee & Donuts event.
- IV. Event Debrief – Coffee & Donuts
- St. Paul event went well. There were a few trays of donuts left over, so council members went around to different departments and gave them away. This worked out very well, and those who were unable to get away from their desk were very appreciative of the gesture (and treat).
- The Minneapolis event went well too. The event started off slow, but had lots of people show up between 8:45-9:15am. Only a few donuts remained at the end, but there was quite a bit of coffee left.
- Tweaking for next year? The council could consider delivering the donuts to offices instead. Another suggestion for next year, if the council does this again, is to just provide food as everyone seemed to already have coffee.
- V. Debrief from August’s meeting
- Barb typed up a list of all the activities the council discussed in August and asked the council to review the list.
- VI. Concern from Nonexempt Staff
- A concern was brought forward from a non-exempt staff regarding parking fees in St. Paul. Presently, having a permit does not guarantee a parking spot, which is an issue for those working and/or arriving later in the day to campus. Those who arrive later are unable to find parking in lots, despite having a parking permit. Ideally, a permit should automatically mean a spot is reserved for them on campus, but this is not the case.
- The council discussed the situation and brainstormed ways to address this concern. Should the NESC promote carpooling to staff? Is there a current promotion or incentive for those who do car pool? Should the council post something about carpooling on the NESC site?
- VII. Office Supply Swap
- A flyer for the swap was passed out to the council for review and suggestions. The swap will be held on October 3and 4 in the lobby of the Anderson Athletic & Recreation Complex. Volunteers from NESC can help with set-up of items on the tables.
- Any changes to the flyer or other ideas may be sent to Lisa K.
- Minneapolis will hold a similar Office Supply Swap in January 2013.
- Action: Julie K. will submit the event to the Newsroom.
- VIII. All Staff Forum – November 1st
- Rooms and food are booked for both campuses (TMH & ASC)
- Barb asked for a few NESC volunteers for each campus to be present at the forum.
- IX. Updates & Miscellaneous Items
A) President’s Staff meeting – October 8th
Barb D. and Lisa K. are attending this and will bring forth two concerns from the NESC: the retirement program, and not replacing staff that have left a position (big custodial concern). Other issues or concerns may be sent to Barb D. prior to October 8.
B) Appreciation Breakfast
The breakfast will be held March 20th, the week before spring break. Barb D. will reserve the space for the breakfast.
C) Webpage – Julie K., Debbie C., Barb J. and Ann S.
There is still more work that needs to be done on the site. Right now the focus is on adding a FAQ section, suggestion box, and posting a video.
- Photos for the NESC members are posted. Should the council post additional information next to members’ names, such as position or contact information?
- Suggestion made to add the title, campus location, and/or department of council members.
- Council brainstormed a list of items to add and/or think adding to the website.
- Should we add a discussion board?
- How to ensure accurate info for FAQ?
- Should we add a blog to increase readership?
- Add a section to welcome new staff members (put their names and departments)
- Add picture of the new cookbook package.
Meeting adjourned at 3:34 pm
Minutes by Brittany Wolf
Meeting Minutes, October 11, 2012
Staff Council Meeting Minutes
Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:00 - 3:30 pm, Room 290 Terrence Murphy Hall
Able to attend: Ph Nhia Lee, Debbie Cattor, Barb Dunker, Julie Jepma, Lisa Keiser, Julie Kimlinger, Kathy Sauro, Brittney Wolf.
Reflection by Julie Jepma: The Garden of Daily Living read it here
September Minutes were approved.
Supply Swap Notes: Lisa reported on a successful supply swap event on the St. Paul campus - timing was good - held in connection with UST Sustainability Week - this would be good to continue annually - publicity was varied and plentiful - can always use more - cooperation from PHP, Recyclers, and Athletic Department was wonderful and appreciated - would recommend holding in same location (AARC first floor lobby). Recommend one-day rather than two-day swap. Details (flyers, background, signs, photos, etc) are all available in deptstor - Staff Council - non-exempt - Supply Swap folder. Mpls may hold a similar supply swap event during J-term, perhaps in the Skyway area. Check with George Williams.
NESC Website Update: Our site continues to provide additional information to our constituents - we need to work on ways to introduce this site so staff members know about it and become familiar with it and ideally find it helpful. Some ideas proposed: Scavenger Hunt that forces them to visit the site: Where's Tommie: Newsroom question to answer - name in drawing - Council members recommended additional sections to add to the site and the subcommittee will meet and work on adding some FAQs.
Children's Christmas Party and Charitable Drive: will be held on Saturday, December 8 from 9am - Noon in Woulfe Alumni Hall. Details have been added to the Upcoming Events section on our main webpage.
Staff Council to host J-Term Event - Details will be worked out and announced soon, but tentatively set to be on January 17 from 2-4; location yet to be determined, possibly the library; it will be a book swap where staff bring books they have enjoyed from home, share their personal reading experiences, serve cocoa, coffee, and cookies; promote the NESC website. . . fun!
Budget Advisory Committee plans to decrease its membership from 40 to a more productive 10-12 members.
Healthcare choices need to be made by everyone by deadline of Friday, November 16. There are three plans rather than five to choose from. All are urged to seriously consider what plan is best and be sure to fill out proper forms by the deadline so that you do not lose out on coverage.
Health Incentives are being discussed and plans will be announced in coming months.
BISK online learning is a new feature and will be discussed in the near future - watch for announcements.
Climate Study Committee will be seeking responses regarding how we feel about working at St. Thomas. Please be forthcoming if you are asked to participate. Departments vary across campus in how we are treated, how we feel we are cared about as staff, etc.
All Staff Forum - joint meeting of hourly and salaried staff members - November 1, 2012 - chili lunch - many questions submitted will be considered and answered by invited speakers from the administration and pertinent departments.
Alumni Association invites staff to attend the December 7 Christmas Luncheon - Fr. Dease will be guest speaker.
March 20, 2013: date set for the Staff Appreciation Breakfast - more details to follow.
Elections for next year - coming up in spring, 2013. Watch for details.
Hostess Baskets are ready for sale - 5.00 from each purchase will go toward the NESC Scholarship Fund.
President's Staff Meeting - concerns addressed included class size increase; staff sometimes feel as they get lost in the shuffle; Performance assessment changes coming.
November meeting: Cancelled.
Next Meeting: December 13, 2012.
Meeting Minutes, December 13, 2012
Present: Debbie Cattoor, Barb Dunker, Corey Getchell, Julie Jepma, Barb Joynson, Lisa Keiser, Julie Kimlinger, Pa Nhia Lee, Kathy Sauro, Ann Schiffer, and Brittney Wolf
Regrets: Mike Elwell
- I. Welcome & Reflection
Reflection by Kathy Sauro
- II. Wellness Program
- Deb Sagstetter spoke about the new Wellness Program that UST is considering for employees. A PowerPoint handout was given to the council laying out the importance of the program, as well as information about Vitality Group, the company in charge of the program.
- Deb Sagstetter’s group from Vitality will be holding focus groups for UST employees in late December and January. The focus groups are limited to 20 people per session. Anyone interested in attending should contact Deb.
- Action: Barb will send the list of council members to Deb Sagstetter, should anyone wish to attend a focus group session.
- III. Minutes from October approved.
Barb Joynson moved for approval of the minutes, Julie Kimlinger seconded.
- IV. Budget Update – Corey Getchell
There was a food service charge for November ($500 for October and $500 for November). As of right now the group has approximately $3000+ remaining for FY2012-13.
- V. Recap of November’s Forum event
- The All-Staff Forum went well; however, St. Paul ran out of chili. One reason for this may have been the increase in the amount of walk-ins. Also, several people either took two bowls of chili or went up for seconds before everyone had gone through the line once.
- The council discussed a few ways to remedy the chili shortage for next year. One suggestion is to serve additional food items. Next year’s council should expect to order more food because there will probably be a spike in attendance due to the new President.
- Minneapolis had left over chili this year.
- VI. J-Term Event: Book Swap
- The swap is set for January 17 in St. Paul. The event will be held in the Leather room at the library, between 2 and 4pm. Cookies & coffee will be served.
- Council brainstormed ways to promote the council at the event, including printing bookmarks with NESC information. Council should also promote the upcoming election at this event, in order to encourage people to nominate someone they know or themselves to serve on the council.
- Books may be dropped off ahead of time to Julie K.
- Barb will collect bags for the event for people grabbing a number of books.
- Minneapolis will hold a book swap in mid to late January in the Fireplace room (TMH). Brittney & Kathy volunteered to make arrangements for this event.
- VII. Committee Updates
- Climate Study – Lisa
The committee is working on the survey, which will be launching in February. The committee is breaking down the survey to address both nonexempt and exempt employees.
- Affirmative Action – Debbie
A plan is expected in 2013. The committee is currently working with HR for 2012-13 goals.
- AAAC – Barb D.
Committee talked about Presidential search again. The search has been pushed back from December. Student applications for the Law School and the OCB are down this year. Also, there is staff equity money.
- Budget Advisory – Julie J.
The committee is looking to decrease its membership. There is concern about the Bookstore’s sales, and they are working on solutions to compete with online vendors. Enrollment is down for the Law school, but there are an above average endowment funds.
- Fringe Benefits – Kathy
Kathy was unable to attend the meeting, but will pass on the minutes to the council.
- VIII. Elections – Kathy
- Kathy, Corey & Brittney will be in charge of elections.
- A flyer will be created and distributed at the Book Swap, and a message will go out in the Newsroom.
- For voting this year, pictures of the nominees will be taken and posted next to their bio.
- There are 4 spots opened this year.
- Action: Barb will check-in with Mike E. to see if he would like to remain on the council.
- Election timeline:
- Council will begin collecting nominations on January 17.
- On February 4, nominees will be contacted and asked for bios.
- Voting will begin on March 8and will go through March 15.
- New members will be contacted during the week of the 20.
- IX. Appreciation Breakfast
- Council will present Father Dease with a gift this year. Everyone should think of gift ideas.
- Updates: This year’s breakfast will be more of a social event. The room has been reserved for the event.
- Council will also allow more time for the silent auction. The Bookstore should also be asked to be present at the breakfast.
- Council will continue planning for the breakfast at January’s meeting.
- X. Additional Updates
- Christmas Party Recap – Event went well. Got a lot of donations.
- Cookbooks – A few baskets will be sent to the Minneapolis Bookstore to sell there. The baskets will also be at the Book swap.
- Webpage – The FAQ page is up, and council members were encouraged to visit the site and provide feedback.
- Should NESC send out an electronic Holiday/Christmas card. Council discussed sending out a “Happy New Year” electronic card after break. Pa will work on this with IRT.
Meeting Adjourned at 3:30pm
Minutes by Brittney Wolf
Meeting Minutes, January 10, 2013
Non Exempt Staff Council
Draft Meeting Minutes
Thursday, January 10, 2013
2:00 pm – 3:30 pm
Able to attend: Debbie Cattoor, Barb Dunker, Julie Jepma, Barb Joynson, Lisa Keiser, Julie Kimlinger, Pa Nhia Lee, Kathy Sauro, Ann Schiffer, Brittney Wolf.
Unable to attend: Mike Elwell; Corey Getchell.
Barb shared a reflection for the New Year.
Minutes were approved.
Book Swap, January 17
Event has been advertised with Newsroom article; library blog; e-mail with flyer created by Barb D.
Cocoa and cookies are set for delivery to Room 108 of the OSF Library at 1:45 pm. (Than you Barb.)
Set Up will begin at 10am on Thursday
Julie, Lisa, Barb
Barb delivered carry bags for those who might need them
Julie K has additional bags if necessary
Greeting Table: will have bookmarks, business cards, information/flyer about upcoming NESC elections and events.
Room will be set up to be comfortable, books that were received in advance will be set out on tables;
Tentative schedule for taking turns at Greeting Table:
2:30 Julie J
Cleanup: 4pm: Barb, Barb, Pa Nhia, Julie K
Leftover books can be sent or brought to Mpls for Book Swap in two weeks.
Mpls is set for hosting its Book Swap on January 29, 1-3:30 pm. Corey, Brittney, and Kathy Sauro will set up. Help from others is welcome, too.
Wellness Program – focus group feedback (Lisa K, Julie K, Terrylynn, Deb C, Kelly R)
Some suggestions and topics discussed by participants:
online tracker with recipes;
brown bag lunches with educational topics featured;
more opportunities to volunteer for social events -- permissions from supervisors not always available;
shift appropriate sessions to reach more of the PHP and Food Service employees;
incentives such as free classes at AARC;
nutritional guidelines tailored toward specific illnesses would be helpful;
competition between departments fitness challenges;
more flexible AARC policies;
McCarthy Gym Schedule;
nutrition information and time management to help in areas of mental health/depression/ stress;
Weight Watchers on campus;
Incentives to get health screenings.
Additional focus groups are being planned; no dates have as yet been announced.
Kathy Sauro and Barb Dunker will prepare information to share with constituents including a timeline for nominations, publicity about candidates, voting procedure and deadlines.
Barb will check with Mike Elwell on status of his membership. Nominees who agree to run for Staff Council will be asked to send in their bios and photos so that we can share this information campus-wide before voting takes place.
Barb will let Mike Ekern know that we’d like his help in getting photos done of all candidates who need them.
Below are some helpful handouts created soon after the meeting. NESC website will be updated to include this information. Newsroom article, e-mail publicity to follow soon.
Appreciation Breakfast, March 20
We plan to allow more time for socializing, seeing the silent auction items up close; possibly shopping for bargains if Bookstore brings selection of clothing over. Less emphasis will be placed on speakers this year. Tony Erickson will be invited to host a Bookstore sale table as in years past. We need to let people know if there will be a clothing sale so they will be prepared and can bring some money. Silent Auction bidders can use credit cards if they wish.
Catering Order: Julie Jepma will take care of ordering the food
Invitations and RSVPs: Barb D will do this with the help of Survey Monkey
Special Guests: Barb will find out about special guests and see that they are invited.
Gift for Fr. Dease needs to be decided upon, all members are asked to give this some thought and bring suggestions to next meeting or send to Barb any time.
Soliciting Donations: Debbie Cattoor and Barb Joynson with help from Nancy Bruggeman and Carissa. An approved donor list will be provided and we will keep in close touch with Development so we do not overstep boundaries with gift solicitation for the breakfast. All funds raised will go into the Scholarship Award.
Door Prizes and Silent Auction: Ann Schiffer – need to get gift baskets; begin now to gather donations. Hoping for five or six baskets for bidding. Lively conversation about potential home-grown door prizes and silent auction items included movie tickets, coupons to the View, overnight stay at Gainey, golfing foursome with Fr. Malone; coupons for a bowling event; coupons to Estetica; coupons to Scooters; and many other ideas that will be investigated, for example tickets for the Christmas Concert at Orchestra Hall; special parking ramp privileges; free classes in AARC, veranda seating at Tommie football games. Still more ideas: Twins tickets; dinner in the priests’ dining room; sports camps discounted or free. Staff Council may use some of its funds for door prizes if necessary.
Flowers for centerpieces will be a possibility – Kathy Sauro will get in touch with former UST employee Sue Wagner who now owns Laurel St. Flower Shop and may be willing to donate.
Staff Council Candy Bars on each table is a possibility – work with Service Center to create fun labels.
Appreciation Award: This is awarded during the Breakfast and details about this will be distributed soon. All members of Council are asked to think about people on campus to nominate for this award. Nominations need to be in by February 15. A decision about the award winner will be made at the March NESC meeting. Publicity about this award and encouraging participation is very important and all are asked to think of ways to get good returns and making the process easier.
University Committee Updates:
Climate Study – nothing to report
AAAC – nothing to report, next meeting is February 14
Affirmative Action – nothing to report
Budget Advisory – Julie J reports that the deficit which had been at 9.3 is now 1.3, an improvement, yet still needing to be watched. There will be a recommendation to raise tuition and departments have been asked to make cuts. Sam Levy stressed importance of staying competitive with smart rooms on campus (now at 75% of classrooms) and internet speed – students are opting to live off campus in many cases for this. Jerry Anderley reports a few very large expenses ($1.2 million) were incurred this year with the installation of two new air handlers in the O’Shaughnessy-Frey Library – buildings on campus are aging – require much attention and money.
Fringe Benefits – nothing to report
Other items of interest:
An electronic greeting card is still something the Council would like to send to all hourly employees – Pa is working with IRT to make this happen.
An event sponsored by the Exempt Staff Council is promoted on our site and all are encouraged to attend - it is a Brown Bag on the topic of “Sleep” and takes place in the Anderson Student Center at Noon on January 16, in Room 202.
One of the recipes in the Tommie Cookbook (Sloppy Joes) will be featured in T’s on Friday, January 11. Promotion of the Tommie Baskets will be set up near the food line so people will be reminded of them.
Next meeting is scheduled to be another teleconferenced meeting –
February 14, 2013 2pm – 3:30 pm in Lib 102 and MOH 419 unless Mpls people decide they would prefer to come to St. Paul. Barb will check on this.
Meeting Minutes, February 14, 2013
Nonexempt Staff Council Meeting
Thursday, February 14, 2013
Present: Debbie Cattoor, Barb Dunker, Julie Jepma, Barb Joynson, Lisa Keiser, Julie Kimlinger, Kathy Sauro, Brittney Wolf
Absent: Mike Elwell, Corey Getchell, Pa Nhia Lee, Ann Schiffer
- I. Welcome & Announcements – Julie K.
- II. Approval of Minutes from January
Approved by Julie J., Seconded by Lisa K.
- III. University Committees – No new updates
- IV. Updates/Miscellaneous Items
A) Commencement Volunteer Opportunity – There are opportunities available for staff members to help out with the Undergraduate and Graduate Commencements on Saturday, May 25. Volunteers may help out with set-up and clean-up. Those volunteering receive a day off of work for coming in on that Saturday to work. The council will talk more about the volunteer opportunities as the date approaches.
B) Collecting labels for schools – Someone wanted to know if the council would like to take on collecting “Box Top” labels for local schools. While this is a great idea, many staff members already have a set school in mind for box top donations. There may also be issues with the collection process in general – i.e. who would be in charge of collecting, how would the council collect. For the time being, the council has decided not to organize a Box Top labels collection.
C) HR Fair – The HR Fair is schedule for Tuesday, March 12 (Minneapolis) and Wednesday, March 13 (St. Paul). The fair will run from 11:30am to 1:15pm on both days. The council will have a table at each event. Volunteers from the council will need to run these tables during the set times.
D) New Year’s card – Barb D. and council members thanked Pa for creating the NY card that went out to staff.
E) Book Swap Debrief
- St Paul (Thursday, Jan. 17): The event was pretty quiet, with lots of left over books. Those that attended did enjoy the swap and would like to see more book swaps on campus. The left over books were sent to Minneapolis.
- Minneapolis (Tuesday, Jan. 29): The swap went very well. There was a good turn out; however, the hot chocolate was delivered in packages instead of being premade for the event. Like the St. Paul event, everyone liked the swap and wanted to know when the next one would be held.
- The leftover books will be kept in Minneapolis until April, at which time they will be sent to St. Paul for the library’s book sale.
- In the future, the event could be advertised on the TVs throughout campus. The electronic material created for the event will be stored on the NESC’s Dept. Store.
- V. NESC Elections
- There were 22 nominations received. Kathy S. contacted each nominee to see if they would be willing to run in the election. Of the 22 nominations, 9 said “yes” to running, 4 said “no”, 5 said “maybe”, and messages were left for 5 people.
- Kathy sent the nine people that said yes a sample bio and requested bios/pictures by Friday, February 22.
- Ballots will go out electronically using either Survey Monkey or Qualtrics. Kathy will get the survey set-up. Paper ballots will need to be printed and sent to Physical Plant and Food Service. Kathy will look into the best way to get the ballots to these employees.
- The council will also need to find a replacement for Mike Elwell. In accordance with the Bylaws, the seat will need to be filled by the next highest voted nominee from last year’s election.
- VI. Appreciation Breakfast
A) Silent Auction/Door Prizes
- A suggestion was made to put the Silent Auction items near the food or in the center of the room.
- Debbie C. went over a list of the items donated thus far; Barb also has collected prizes for campus related items.
- The council will meet in early March to decide which items will be put into the auction and which ones will be given away as prizes.
- To cut down on time spent drawing names for prizes at the end of the breakfast, the council may draw names prior to the day of the event and then put the winners on a PowerPoint slide to display throughout the program. Council will save a few prizes to draw live.
- All winners must be present to claim their prize.
B) Appreciation Award – Barb will send out the nomination letters she receives to the council, and then the council will vote on the winner electronically.
C) Gift for Father Dease – NESC brainstormed more ideas for gifts for Father Dease, and talked about presenting him with a crucifix. The council would like Father Dease’s gift to have a story behind it.
- Lisa Keiser found a place called 10,000 Villages on Grand Ave. that sells unique crucifixes from around the world. In addition to this, Lisa googled African crosses and found a few really nice ones. Pictures were shown of the various crosses and items that Lisa found. A wind chime from Uganda $54; Tree of Life wall hanging cross from Haiti $58; bookends from Kenya $38; Village Peace cross from Haiti $20; and a linked sculpture from Kenya.
- Father Dease is very interested in Cuba and Uganda, so finding a cross or item from this area would be great. The council also talked about sending a donation of money to Uganda in Father Dease’s name.
- The gift will be from all the nonexempt staff. The council considered also giving Dease two gifts – one from the staff and one from the council. The gift from the council could be the charitable donation.
- Barb J. will check with a student worker from Uganda regarding gift ideas from his country. Kathy S. will talk to Kate Herzog who owns House of Talents, a shop that sells items made by people in Africa, Uganda, Haiti, etc.
D) Event Programing –
- The council will need to allow enough time for people to do the auction and to mingle. Barb Dunker will speak to Father Malone about MC-ing the event. The council decided to do less programing.
- The scholarship recipient will be attending the breakfast. Instead of having the recipient read from a sheet of paper, the council will have Father Malone ask her questions.
- Barb Dunker will check with the Bookstore to see if they are able to attend/sell items at the breakfast.
- Kathy is checking with Sue Wagner at Laurel Street Flowers regarding donating flowers for the tables.
- The council considered giving away candy bars with NESC labels. The candy bars could be purchased from Sam’s Club, and the service center would be able to create/print labels for 10 cents each. After a brief discussion, was decided that this would get very pricy. So, instead Julie J. will look into the cost of getting stickers to place on small candy bars.
- Council will stick with the same breakfast menu as last year.
E) Event Itinerary - as decided at the meeting
- Breakfast begins: 7:30am
- Prayer: 7:50 am
- Program:8:10 – 8:30 am (no more than 20 minutes in length)
- o Program will include: New/Outgoing members, Appreciation award, Scholarship recipient. An interview-like style should be used in present the appreciation award and scholarship recipient.
- o A PowerPoint will highlight the silent auction items.
- o Announcements to be made about the silent auction throughout the breakfast, and a final announcement should be made prior to it ending.
- Auction Ends: 8:30 am
- Breakfast Ends: 9:00am
Next Meeting – Early March to discuss Appreciation Breakfast details.
Adjourned at 3:15pm
Minutes by Brittney Wolf
Meeting Minutes, March 14, 2013
Non Exempt Staff Council
Thursday, March 14, 2013
2:00 pm – 3:30 pm
Able to attend: Debbie Cattoor, Barb Dunker, Julie Jepma, Barb Joynson, Lisa Keiser, Julie Kimlinger, Kathy Sauro, Corey Getchell, Pa Nhia Lee, Ann Schiffer.
Unable to attend: Mike Elwell, Brittney Wolf. (Mike Elwell has resigned from Council due to time conflicts.)
February Minutes were approved.
Tobacco-Free Campus Initiative
Mary Ann Ryan and Jerry Anderley spoke to the Council about the tobacco-free initiative proposed by the University Student Government group each year since 2010. A policy document has been drawn up with specific guidelines and Mary Ann and Jerry are visiting groups across campus explaining this policy and its intent, and they plan to present it to the President’s Staff in May. If it is approved, they will re-visit those same groups, (including NESC, RAA, faculty, budget advisory committee, ELS, Student Life, and others) and discuss ways to implement and enforce it. It will take a community-wide effort to make it successful. Jerry mentioned that fresh air intake areas outside of buildings will need to be identified and community educated about these. Education on the negative effects of smoking, second hand smoke, insurance premiums, smoking cessation programs, etc will be part of the plan. There will be no smoking allowed in personal vehicles if they are on St. Thomas property. All UST properties, owned or leased, will be affected by the ban – for now that includes Gainey and Rome campus. 30 university campuses in Minnesota and 1000 across the USA have gone tobacco free.
University Committee Meeting Updates:
Climate Study -- survey is underway
AAAC – no report, next meeting is scheduled for April 18
Affirmative Action – no report, meeting is scheduled for April 25
Budget Advisory -- work may be completed – budget has been sent to Board
Fringe Benefits – working on health and wellness
400 non-exempt constituents
176 total votes received this year – 120 received last year
118 online responses
58 paper ballots
Bios and accompanying photos seems to have been very helpful
New Members Elected for two-year term:
Rick Morcos (PHP)
Bill Zych (Library)
Dede Hering (Anderson Student Center)
Jason Kaasovic (Family Business Center, Mpls)
Laurie Dimond (Theology)
New members will be contacted by Kathy and will be introduced at the Staff Appreciation Breakfast, March 20.
Barb thanked Kathy for handling the judging process so well.
HR Fair Debrief
NESC table at HR Fair –
Tommie Tiger zipper pulls and bookmarks were very popular – ran out before end of Fair.
Next year have handouts as well as some little treats to entice people to stop by
Stickers with NESC logo and website onto peppermint patties for example.
Have handouts available that tell about benefits associated with having money on their UST ID card
Suggestion: See if we can get more businesses in Mpls associated with the card.
Appreciation Breakfast Planning:
Food was ordered for 230 people – so far 160 rsvps received.
Menu: cheesy eggs; bacon, sausage, fresh fruit, etc.
Also invited: Deans, Fr.’s staff, Mark Dienhart’s direct reports, Fr. Malone (will be emcee)
Pre-draw for door prizes and have winners shown on screen during breakfast so that time will not need to be given to announcing winners.
Some special prizes will be saved out and winners will be drawn and announced at end of program.
Tentative schedule: 7:00 am Council will set up centerpieces and silent auction tables
7:30 am Doors open
7:40 am Welcome by Barb
Shop auction, bookstore table, donate to Fr. Dease, eat, mingle
8:15 am Program
Barb D will make these announcements:
Staff Appreciation Award winner:
Study Abroad Scholarship winner:
Meeting Minutes, April 11, 2013 (DRAFT)
Non-Exempt Staff Council
Meeting Minutes (DRAFT)
April 11, 2013
2:00 – 3:20 pm Rm 237
Members able to attend: Ann, Corey, Barb D, Barb J, Lisa, Deb, Julie J, Julie K.
March Minutes approved as submitted.
AAAC – no news,will meet next week
Affirmative Action - Deb Cattoor reported on issues addressed and she provided these notes (thank you Deb):
Affirmative Action Meeting Monday March 18, 2013
Faculty Affairs sent a self evaluation of Committees of Faculty and Committees of the university as a part of shared faculty governance. The following questions were addressed: (I have paraphrased the questions)
- Do you believe that committee as presently operating is making a meaningful contribution? Ans: Perhaps change name due to changes by Supreme Court if disband “affirmative action” (possibly in June 2013) i.e. Equality Opportunity and Diversity Inclusion Committee (3 yrs ago Susan Alexander tried to have name changed however ran into road blocks that may need to be addressed soon)
- Description of committee in Faculty handbook be revised? Ans: Handbook no longer carries this info mute point
- Committee continue to exist? Ans: Continue to exist – perhaps under new name – “affirmative action” carries more “teeth, however may not be allowed to exist once Supreme court rules.
- Committee be more efficient? Ans: Group promotes awareness, has no power to make changes in policies
- Committee size be changed – up or down? Ans: No change in size
- Committee meeting responsibility to keep faculty informed? Ans: Yes
- Faculty handbook be clarified or changed re committee? Ans : No change
Sara GM – 1 yr remaining on current Affirmative Action Plan, faculty is in a good place, staff side needs improvement re: underutilization of diversity
Sara GM indicated the Sexual misconduct policies are being revised and hate crime policies will be under review.(through HR) There have not been any grievances at UST in yrs.
Committee reviewed the Purpose of Affirmative Action and will revamp to eliminate AA in wording and integrate, Diversity Inclusion and Equal Employment Opportunities
Received rave reviews; lots of positive comments; people appreciated the visiting time; many prizes, the mood felt relaxes, the arrangement of the room worked well, drawing for the parking permit was fun.
Next year, work out better plan for awarding the prizes and silent auction items.
Raised over $800. for scholarship
Set up was quick, even though it was not done the night before
Helpful to have Tommie Central office as holding place for prizes, etc.
Appreciation aspect of breakfast is important
Funds given for Fr. Dease’s project amounted to 683.00 that day (NESC officers will meet with Fr. Dease and present the gift in the name of all NESC members)
Let Barb know what you are interested in
Amend the bylaws
Vice chair will conduct the election, give results at the June Meeting
Duties: learn from the website; helpful to know our constituents; what commitments are expected; what is the mission of the council; we are the voice for the hourly and union employees; what’s good; what would you change?
Responsibilities: Forums – work with Exempt Staff; different committees, let people know what interests you; handoffs – things need to go into the shared site; send in photos for new members;
Be sure receipient of scholarship is a nonexempt employee or child of nonexempt employee.
Silent auction will always fund the scholarship
Julie will get in touch with Liz Rivera to see if she is willing to share her story – near miss traffic incident.