Chapel 1 BW 303x235x72

A Brief History

‌The Saint Paul Seminary was founded through the generosity of James J. Hill and the vision of Archbishop John Ireland to establish a firm foundation for its long‌ history of preparing priests and other leaders for the Church.  St. Mary’s Chapel was included in the original seminary plans drawn up by architect Cass Gilbert in 1891, but it was not completed until 1905.  Clarence H. Johnston, a well-respected Minnesota architect, was chosen to design the chapel. Construction was completed by the Lauer Brothers, a local building firm. Read More...