Committees and Positions:
- University Committee on Studies
- SOWK 281: Introduction to Social Work
- SOWK 340: Human Behavior and the Social Environment
- SOWK 355: Communication & Interview7ing skills
- SOWK 375, 376: Junior Fieldwork in Social Work
- SOWK 401: Generalist Practice with Individuals, Groups and Families
- SOWK 405, 406: Senior Fieldwork in Social Work
- GRSW 501: Theory & Practice of Social Work I
- GRSW 540: Human Behavior & the Social Environment
- GRSW 541/SOWK 441: Family Resilience and Diversity
- B.A., Concordia College
- M.S.W., University of Denver
Current Research Interests:
- Family Resilience
- Spirituality in social work practice
- Mutlicultural practice and family issues
- Human behavior
- Family treatment
- Interpersonal violence
- Strengths perspective
- Child Welfare, 2 years
- Child Guidance Center, Psychiatric Social Work, 1 year
- Medical Social Work, 6 years
- Social Service Administation, 2 years
Publications & Presentations:
- Shank, B. & Thornton, S. (2006) Marketing the BSW Program: A Blend of Creativity, Ideas, and Resource. In Baccalaureate Program Directors Update.
- Thornton, S. (2000). "Family Resilience and Diversity" Teaching Racial, Ethinic and Cultural Diversity in Social Work:A Collection of Model Course Outlines.Alexandria, VA: Council on Social Work Education.
- Thornton, S. & Garrett, K. (1995, Winter). Ethnography as a bridge to multicultural practice. Journal of Social Work Education, 31(1), 67-74.
- Thornton, S. (1994). The idea of a social work department within a Catholic university. The Idea of a Catholic University Summer Seminar, University of St.Thomas, 53-55.
- Garrett, K. & Thornton, S. (1993, April). Teaching cross-cultural social work through ethnography. Ethnotes, 3(1), 3-7.
- Garrett, K. & Thornton, S. (1993). Helping social work students overcome homophobic attitudes. Council on Social Work Education 40th Annual Program
- Meeting Final Program, March 5-8, 1994.
- Andrews, J. & Thornton, S. (1991). Adjustment isseus of non-traditional female graduate students: Changing our institutions to meet their needs. Selected papers from the Ninth Annual Conference on Non-Traditional and Interdisciplinary program, 121-131.
- Cochrane, S., & Thonton, S. (1990). The process of adjustment in field placement: Implications for baccalaureate field educators. Proceedings of the Eight Annual BPD Conference, 61-69. Minnesota.
Association Memberships & Affiliations:
- National Association of Social Workers
- Committee on Nomination and Leadership (term 1991-1994)
- Committee on Inquiry (1994-2000)
- Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) Site Visitor (1995-2005)
- Minnesota Council on Social Work Education
- Elected Board Member 1987-89
- Newsletter Editor (1989-1991)
- Minnesota Women in Higher Education
- Board Member (1987-1989)
- Board Secretary (1987-1989)
- Alph Delta Mu- National Social Work Honor Society
- Faculty Advisor (1984-1987)