Friday, October 10, 2014
University of St. Thomas, 2115 Summit Ave., St. Paul, MN. McNeely Hall, MCH100.
The Affordable Care Act (ACA): Impacts on Clinical Social Work Practice
Although clinical social workers know that practice is impacted by public policy, they don't often get a chance to reflect on these implications. Come to the Forums to learn about, discuss, and address the connections between social policies and social work practice.
Our inaugural Policy in Practice Forum focused on examining the impact of the implementation of the Affordable [Health] Care Act ("Obamacare") on clinical social work practice.
- Dan McLaughlin, MHA, Director of the University of St. Thomas Center for Health and Medical Affiars, will provide a short overview of the ACA
- Sue Abderholden, MPH, Executive Director, National Alliance for Mental Illness (NAMI) - Minnesota, will focus on the mental health aspects of the ACA and its potential impact on persons with mental illness and mental health concerns in general.
- L. Read Sulik, MD, Chief Integration Officer, Child & Adolescent & Adult Psychiatrist, PrairieCare, will discuss the increasing integration of primary care and behavioral health to improve the access to care for those individuals with a mental illness or addiction, and to provide structured support to any individual needing to transform their behaviors to improve their health.
- Chris Hickman, MSW, LICSW, Program Director of Minneapolis, MN based Fairview Counseling Centers, will share his experience as a clinical social work leader within Fairview Health Services as it implements the ACA.
- Panel discussion will be facilitated by Professors Katharine Hill and Jessica Toft, School of Social Work
The Policy in Practice Forums are meant to be open door events for students and faculty, social work agencies, and SSW alumni. The $5 registration fee will include continuing education credits.
View the presentations from the panelists who used slides:
- Daniel B. McLaughlin
, Center for Health and Medical Affairs: The Affordable Care Act and its Impact on Social Work. DOWNLOAD: PiP Forum - ACA - McLaughlin
- L. Read Sulik, MD, FAAP, DFAACAP, Chief Integration Officer, PrairieCare, Clinical Associate Professor, University of Minnesota: Achieving the Triple Aim through Integrating Primary and Behavioral Health Care. DOWNLOAD: PiP Forum - ACA - Sulik
- Chris Hickman, MSW, LICSW, System Director, FCC and Clinical Integration: Impact of ACA on Clinical Social Workers. DOWNLOAD: PiP Forum - ACA - Hickman
View pictures from the event on our Facebook page