Questions to discuss with your advisor:
What are the benefits of going to graduate school?
Do you meet the requirements for admission to graduate programs?
What courses should I take as an undergraduate to prepare for graduate study?
- What experiential opportunities would be most beneficial in preparing me for graduate school, i.e. internships, research, jobs, etc.?
- What are the potential job opportunities in my area of interest?
- What are the program options in my area of interest?
Should I pursue a master's or a Ph.D.?
What is the average time to obtain a Ph.D.?
- What role does the graduate advisor play? When (and how) do you choose your graduate advisor? How difficult is it to switch advisors during the course of the program?
- How do I figure out what programs and schools I should apply to?
- What is the application process and timeline?
- What are some of the areas that I should focus on in my applications to graduate schools?
- How important are the graduate school examinations? What are some good resources to prepare for the exams?
- Who should I ask to do recommendations?
- Where can I find scholarship, grant, fellowship, and assistantship opportunities to help fund my graduate education?
- How many hours per week of work is expected from those who have received a Teaching or Research Assistantship?
Petersons: find information regarding entrance examinations, programs, schools, and scholarships.
gradschools.com: find information regarding programs, schools, and financial aid.
Association of Professional Schools of International Affairs (APSIA): find information and links to master's and Ph.D. programs in International Relations.
ets.org: find information and register for the GRE examination
NOTE: Information concerning Graduate and Law Schools can also be found in the Political Science Resource Room (JRC 420).
Graduate School Program Options:
International Political Economy
Law School (areas of concentration)
- National Security Affairs
- Political Management
- Political Science (areas of concentration)
Public and International Affairs
For more information regarding graduate school, contact Dr. Steve Hoffman at email@example.com or 651-962-5723.
For more information regarding law school, contact Dr. Kathleen Winters at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-962-5724.