Hourly Staff Employees

How do I report my time off to Payroll?

  • Only Benefit Eligible employees are eligible to receive paid time off in accordance with the Employee Handbook.

  • Time Off is reported on the time sheets in the appropriate category (Holiday, Floating Holiday, PLT, etc.) and on the appropriate line.

  • Time Off is reported to the department time clock administrators by the time clock employeesTime Card Adjustment Form.

  • If you are a benefit eligible employee, the hours you are eligible to be paid for a holiday are calculated in accordance with the Employee Handbook.  Other accrued time off balances are printed on your paycheck.

How do I report my time for previous pay periods?

If you have access to enter your hours on a time sheet, please submit an amended time sheet for the hours that were missed. Instructions for submitting an amended time sheet are on the Time Entry section of the Payroll website. If you are using a time clock to record your time, please contact your supervisor. Amended time sheets will be paid in the next available pay period.

What do I need to do to get paid?

  • If you are a full or part time staff member, your pay is initiated on a new hire web page to Human Resources by your immediate supervisor.
  • If you are a student employee, you need to submit a Student Employment Form to your supervisor through Murphy Online. Please email stu_employ@stthomas.edu for further instructions.

When do I get paid?

Hourly staff are paid in accordance with the Hourly payroll schedule.

When is overtime paid?

  • Hourly employees are paid overtime pay in accordance with the Fair Labor Standards Act for any hours worked in excess of 40 hours in a calendar week. Please note that if you have multiple jobs on campus hours from all jobs are combined to determine when overtime is owed.

  • Employees that are members of bargaining agreements are paid overtime in accordance with their Union contracts.

Who do I go to with paycheck questions?

Generally any member of the Payroll staff should be able to assist you, please send an email to payroll@stthomas.edu and someone will reply within 24 hours.  The Payroll Coordinator is responsible for processing the salaried payroll and staff information; their phone number is 651-962-6850.

How do I report my hours to Payroll?

This is explained in the Time Entry section of this webpage

I forgot to submit my timesheet on the day it was due - how do I make sure I get paid?

Contact your supervisor about the issue and see if they can amend your timesheet before the payroll cutoff period. If not, your hours can be paid for during the next payroll cycle.

How does daylight savings time changes effect an hourly employee's time sheet?

     Those employees working the third shift when Daylight Savings Time Begins (Spring) work one hour less because the clocks are set ahead one hour.  On the Sunday that Daylight Savings Time starts at 2:00am, the employee does not work the hour from 2:00 – 3:00 am because at 2:00 am the clocks are turned forward to 3:00am.  Thus, on this day the employee only worked 7 hours, even though the schedule was for 8.  Non-exempt employees are paid for the hours they actually work.  If the employee chooses to use one (1) hour of PLT to be “made whole” for the shift they can inform their supervisor.

     Those employees working the third shift when Daylight Savings Time ends (Fall) work an extra hour because the clocks are set back one hour at 2:00 am.  On the Sunday that Daylight Savings Time ends at 2:00 am the employee works the hour from 1:00 to 2:00 twice because at 2:00 am all of the clocks are turned back to 1:00 am.  Thus, on this day the employee worked nine (9) hours, even though the schedule only reflected 8 hours.  Non-exempt employees will be paid for all hours actually worked.