Frequently Asked Questions - Student Services

Will I be notified if my student is put on academic probation? What if they're suspended?

We hope that your student will communicate with you if they are experiencing academic difficulties, but in accordance with FERPA (Federal Educational Rights & Privacy Act) we do not notify parents about their student’s academic standing. An email message is sent to each student on academic probation and a certified letter and e-mail message is sent to each student who has been academically suspended or dismissed from UST. Probation/suspended/dismissed students are encouraged to meet with an academic counselor, and if your student would like you to participate in this meeting, that would be fine.

I am worried about my student and told them to talk to a counselor, but I don't think they've followed through. Can you call them and get back to me?

We'd be happy to contact your son or daughter, and we'd be happy to meet with the two of you, but we cannot be the go-between.

When should we start planning for study abroad?

It is never too soon to begin planning to study abroad!  Have your student start by visiting the International Education Center, located in Murray-Herrick Campus Center, Room 212, to get an idea of the programs and sites that are available.

My student really wanted a particular class, but it was already full when they registered. What do they do now?

Encourage your student to get his or her name on the waitlist for the course, and also to speak to the professor.

Will my student get a January Term class?

There are significantly fewer course offerings for January Term than fall or spring semester, but if seats are available, students do not need special permission to register for January Term classes. Please note that class sections generally fill quickly and first year students often have limited enrollment.  January Term is a popular timeframe for UST students to study abroad.

When does my student need to declare their major?

Students are encouraged to officially declare their majors once they've earned 48 credits (typically, in the second semester of their sophomore year).  Some departments may allow students to officially declare their major slightly before 48 credits are completed.  Please encourage your student to consult with their advisor or the chair of the major academic department for details.

What academic support is available?

Lots!  Your student can visit Academic Counseling and Support located in Murray-Herrick Campus Center, Room 110; or call 651-962-6300 for an appointment.  We can direct them toward appropriate resources, which may include the Mathematics Resource Center (MaRC), departmental tutors, Disability Resources, or the Center for Writing.

I have several questions about purchasing my student's books, where do I begin?

Campus Stores can assist you with any of your questions.  Let's begin with frequently asked questions of parents.  You might also be interested in frequently asked questions of student.  For further information go the Campus Stores website.

My daughter/son is interested in trying out intercollegiate teams in St. Thomas. What information do we need to have?

Trying out for intercollegiate athletics? Here is what you should know :

  • All first year students must have a physical on file with the UST Student Health Service. This physical must have been administered within 6 months prior to participation in any practice, competition or conditioning activities. After the first year, an updated medical history form is all that is required. Physical examination forms can be found at the UST Student Health Service web site:
  • All athletes must provide evidence of health insurance. The insurance coverage must have a minimal limit of at least $75,000 and cover athletically related injuries. No student will be allowed to practice or compete in any sport until such evidence is on file with the UST Athletics Department. A photocopy of the front and back of your insurance card should be on file with the UST Athletics Department. UST will assume NO responsibility for the payment of medical expenses resulting from injuries that occur while participating in intercollegiate athletics
  • If you need to purchase health insurance or have questions regarding the health insurance offered through St. Thomas,, or call 651-962-6752. The insurance offered through St. Thomas provides a good option at a reasonable price.
  • The following forms need to be on file with the UST Athletics Department before your son or daughter will be allowed to practice. Coaches will forward these forms to you as part of their summer letter or call the UST athletics office 651-962-5982 regarding these forms. Acknowledgement of Insurance form (remember to include a photocopy of the front and back of your health insurance card); Emergency contact and Insurance Information form; and Sports Participation Agreement form

If my daughter/son accepts a Work-Study award, does St. Thomas just give them a job? How does Student Employment work?

Work-Study/Student Employment awards are listed on the Notification of Award as financial aid; however, a work award does not guarantee a job. Students need to seek, apply for and obtain their own job. Available jobs are posted on the Human Resources Web site at Freshmen may begin their job search in July and August, but most students begin looking and actually secure a job when they arrive on campus in September.

It is up to the student to decide how student employment earnings will be used to pay for college costs. Income earned from student employment is available every two weeks in the form of a St. Thomas paycheck, direct deposit to a bank account or as a payment towards a student’s St. Thomas bill. Earnings from student employment programs are taxable income.

For further information visit the student employment website: Students usually work between 6 and 15 hours per week. The current campus wage range is $7.00 to $10.00 per hour. If the student employment award is accepted, a Student Employment form and W-4 form can be accessed and submitted on Murphy online.

Will my daughter/son’s financial aid change if they decide to live at home or in an off-campus apartment?

No, it will not. We believe that costs are similar regardless if your daughter/son lives on-campus or off-campus and we do not make adjustments to their financial aid package. Similarly, if your daughter/son lives at home, we understand that you will be incurring costs to maintain them in your home.

What types of services are offered through Health Services?

Health Services is staffed by full-time RNs, Nurse Practitioners, and a full-time Doctor, along with part-time Doctors skilled in Family Practice, Internal Medicine, and Psychiatry. Walk-in visits are available for acute care needs and appointments for routine well visits and ongoing chronic care needs similar to any primary care clinic. Laboratory services are available. X-ray is not availability on campus; however, referrals are easily made.  Student Health Services will refer to local specialists if necessary. For more information about Health Services:

All students are required to have health insurance. For further information about insurance options:

Do we need to “reapply” for financial aid every year?

If you want to be considered for financial aid from all sources (federal, state and St. Thomas), and types (grants, scholarships, loans and work), you must reapply each year by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Factors such as family size, number of family members in college, income and assets may change each year and these are the factors used to determine a family’s ability to pay for college each year. The application and reapplication is now available on-line at or a paper application is made available each year.

If I have questions or want to learn more about the University of St. Thomas' adherence to Title IX federal legislation who should I contact?

In compliance with Title IX of the Education Amendment of 1972, the university does not discriminate on the basis of sex in programs and activities.  The university has appointed Ms. Nora Fitzpatrick , Senior Assistant Dean for Administration, as the Title IX coordinator to implement the university's efforts to comply with this law and its related regulations, including the investigation of any alleged non-compliance with or activity prohibited by Title IX, such as sexual harassment.  Any person who believes that the university is not in full compliance with Title IX should contact Ms. Fitzpatrick.

Title IX Coordinator
Ms. Nora Fitzpatrick
Associate Vice President, Financial Planning and Analysis
Aquinas Hall, Room 110D
(651) 962-6884



If I become aware that my student has been sexually harassed or assaulted, what advice can I give for them to receive help and support? Are there services for my student if they know someone who has been harassed or assaulted?

As a parent, this information is very hard to receive.  You may feel free to advise your student to report their experience to the Minneapolis or St. Paul Police.  If your son or daughter is not willing or able to take that step, they can confidentially go to Counseling and Psychological Services and/or Health Services to receive confidential assistance and treatment.  Your student may also take advantage of sexual assault services off campus.  Please see resources below.

Support and services are available for students who know or witnessed someone being harassed or assaulted.  The Dean of Students sexual assault resource is a very good beginning.  Personal support is available through Counseling and Psychological Services.

Your daughter or son can also contact the Dean of Students Office for immediate support and care: 651-962-6050.


Dean of Students Office: Sexual Assault

Resources for students on and off campus

Frequently asked questions about response and care after assault

What are the goals for the Parent Resource Program?

The University of St. Thomas considers our relationship with parents, guardians and families as a partnership.  It is our intention to achieve the following goals:

  1. Encourage active engagement of parents, guardians and families in the developmental processes of their students, with attention to their own personal journeys as life-long learners and morally responsible citizens.

  2. Provide current information on programs and trends within the university which assist parents, guardians and families in supporting their student through the Parent Resource website and StThomasPARENT monthly electronic newsletter.

  3. Continue intentional interdepartmental collaborations, especially with Orientation & Registration, Family Weekend and Parent Network, to provide a robust service and response to concerns raised by parents, guardians and families.