Employment Regulations

To be eligible for any type of employment you must maintain continuous and lawful F-1 status. Students in F-1 status may begin working on campus once they have completed a document check with an advisor at ISS. This is generally done as part of international student orientation.
Information on Employment Regulations

Immigration Information

To maintain your immigration status, you must be enrolled as a full-time student at the school you are authorized to attend. At St. Thomas, graduate students are required to register for a minimum of 6 credits during the fall and spring semesters. For undergraduates, 12 credits is the minimum for each fall and spring semester.

More immigration information for J-1 students


Who needs to file taxes? Everyone, including you!

All nonimmigrants (including persons on F-1, J-1, H-1, J-2 and F-2 status) who have earned income in the U.S. or received a scholarship from a U.S. source (including UST) are required by law to file Federal and State income tax forms with the Internal Revenue Service by April 15 for the previous year.


Travel Regulations

Students should consult their Designated School Official (DSO) prior to traveling.
Information on Travel Regulations

J-1 departure checklist

J-1 visa holders must follow the rules and steps listed in this section before their departure from the United States.

Departure To Do List