On Campus Employment

To be eligible for any type of employment you must maintain continuous and lawful F-1 status. Students in F-1 status may begin working on campus once they have completed a document check with an advisor at ISS. This is generally done as part of international student orientation.

All students have the opportunity to seek employment on campus even if student employment is not awarded as part of the financial aid package. A wide variety of campus jobs are available to students who attend St. Thomas. For example, students may work as office support staff, food service employees, science lab assistants, residence hall desk attendants, and computer help desk staff. Student employment can be a wonderful experience and give valuable insights into various career areas and the American professional experience.

Income from a campus job can help students pay for educational and personal expenses. Student pay rates vary depending on the job responsibilities, but start at $7.25/hour. A student who works 10 hours per week at a rate of $7.25/hr for the entire school year can earn almost $2,000. Students can receive paychecks or have their earnings applied toward the tuition bill. Earnings from student employment are taxable income, but are not subject to the FICA tax, as long as the student is enrolled on a half-time basis or more.

Please be aware that student employment is not guaranteed. Students must obtain their own positions on campus. Available positions are posted on the Jobs at UST web site. Most positions are posted at the beginning of the school year.

On-campus employment is limited to 20 hours per week during fall and spring semesters. During school vacations, students may work full-time (up to 40 hours per week).

School vacations include: Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break, January Term, Spring Break, and summer vacation.

Application Process

  • After getting a job for the first time, you will need to complete new hire paperwork in the Human Resources office located in Aquinas Hall 217. Bring the following documents with you to the Human Resources Office:

                    - Passport

                    - I-20 or DS-2019

                    - printed I-94

                    - Employment Authorization Document (if applicable)

    Contact Human Resources at stu_employ@stthomas.edu or 651-962-6510 with any questions regarding new hire paperwork.

  • Stop by the Payroll Department in Aquinas Hall 221 for assistance with completing a Residency Status Questionnaire, W-4 and applying for a Social Security Card.

  • Request a Social Security Verification letter on-line. Pick the letter up at ISS (ASC 218). Get a signature on the letter from your supervisor.

  • You will receive a receipt when you submit your application and your Social Security Card will come in the mail at a later date. Please submit a copy of your application receipt to the Payroll Department and a copy of the Social Security Card when you receive it in the mail.


Contact Us

ASC 218
Mail Box
Mail #5014
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 4:30pm