Off-Campus Employment

To be eligible to apply, students must have been registered full-time for at least one academic year, be in good academic and legal standing and in a valid F-1 status at the time of the application. Please read instructions below:

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is authorization for paid or unpaid employment that is an integral part of the established curriculum. CPT is available during (not after) a course of study and must be authorized for a specific employer. There is no limit to part-time (less than 20 hours per week) CPT. However, a student who does 12 months or more of full-time Curricular Practical Training forfeits all Optional Practical Training.
Read More about CPT

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

F-1 students may apply for optional practical training (OPT) during the semester they will complete their program of study. Students may apply for OPT up to 90 days before their program end date and 60 days after their program end date. OPT may be used for a maximum of 12 months of full-time employment after each degree program.
Read more about OPT

OPT Extension for STEM Filed Majors

F-1 students whose OPT is based on a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Ph.D. degree in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM) field, as defined by DHS, may be eligible for a one-time, 17-month extension of OPT.
Read more about STEM.

Severe Economic Hardship

Special work status is available for students who have unforeseen financial circumstances. A student must provide proof that there is an unforeseen severe economic necessity beyond the student's control and that other employment opportunities are not available or are insufficient. A student must apply for this status before working off-campus.
Read more about Severe Economic Hardship