UST in the news
Here’s a roundup of recent stories of interest that mention St. Thomas.
Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, so be sure to read stories soon if you’re interested. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access the stories.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at email@example.com.
- “Bankruptcy filing a gamble for Catholic archdiocese,” Star Tribune, July 18, 2004. Patrick Schiltz, of the UST School of Law, is quoted. http://www.startribune.com/stories/484/4881847.html
- See also the St. Paul Pioneer Press, which ran the Associated Press version of the story. http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/9185564.htm
- “Here’s what the other graduates are up to,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, July 18, 2004. The Pioneer Press tracked a group of May 2003 college graduates. One has since started grad school at St. Thomas. http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/living/9164497.htm See the whole series at: http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/8000764.htm
- “Business people,” Star Tribune, July 19, 2004. Robert Bode, former associate director of student financial services at St. Thomas, has been appointed director of financial aid at Metropolitan State University. http://www.startribune.com/stories/535/4878104.html
- “Outside consultant,” Star Tribune, July 19, 2004. John McVea, assistant professor, University of St. Thomas Entrepreneurship Department, offers business advice. http://www.startribune.com/stories/535/4877976.html
- “Founder of Irish American Cultural Institute dies at 89,” Star Tribune, July 21, 2004. “Eoin McKiernan, founder of the Irish American Cultural Institute and recognized as one of the greatest Irish-Americans,” was a former chairman of the St. Thomas English Department. http://www.startribune.com/stories/466/4886655.html
- “Obituaries in the news,” Star Tribune, July 21, 2004. The Associated Press included Eoin McKiernan’s obituary among those of other prominent people throughout the world. http://www.startribune.com/stories/709/4886542.html
- “Champion of Ireland dies at 89,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, July 21, 2004. “ ‘[ Eoin McKiernan] was a major pioneer in restoring a sense of Irish culture in the United States,’ said Lawrence O’Shaughnessy, a St. Paul philanthropist who donated $1 million to St. Thomas in 1997 for a Center of Irish Studies in honor of McKiernan.” http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/living/education/9201593.htm
- “Eoin McKiernan, Irish scholar, dies at 89,” Star Tribune, July 22, 2004. http://www.startribune.com/stories/466/4888205.html
- “Around St. Paul,” Star Tribune, July 23, 2004. Joe Kimball’s column includes info about the upcoming St. Paul Bike Classic, which starts on the UST St. Paul campus each year. http://www.startribune.com/stories/785/4890123.html
- “What’s happening in your neighborhood: Ramsey County,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, July 23, 2004. “David Elliott, a music education professor at New York University, will discuss "Music Matters: A New Philosophy of Music Education" from 1 to 4:30 p.m. Sunday at the 3M auditorium in Owens Science Hall at the University of St. Thomas. The cost is $10. Register by calling (651) 962-5870 or by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.” http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/states/minnesota/counties/ramsey_county/9221413.htm
- “What’s happening in your neighborhood: Washington County ,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, July 23, 2004. “Summer reading program: The River Crossing Poets, a writing group, will be reading original work during a summer reading program called ‘Love and Imagination’ at 7 p.m. Monday at Oakdale Branch Library, 1010 Heron Ave. N. Members of the group ( Merie Kirby, Jorie Miller, Christine Sikorski and Terri Whitman) teach creative writing at the University of St. Thomas, The Loft, SASE and in other venues. Miller, a longtime local resident, also teaches ‘Writing for Absolute Beginners’ at Oakdale Branch Library. Call 651-730-0504 for more information.” http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/states/minnesota/counties/washington_county/9221791.htm
- “Ads don’t fly with NSC,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, July 23, 2004. “Ambush marketing, said University of St. Thomas marketing professor Ahmed Abdelaal, is when you take advantage of an event that you know would attract lots of media and fans and strategically place marketing materials to promote your brand. ‘You aren’t doing all of the work,’ he said, ‘but are taking advantage of the work that is taking place. It may be unethical, but it is not necessarily illegal.’” http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/soccer/9221097.htm
- “A time when society cared for the ‘down and out,’” The Catholic Spirit, July 22, 2004. John Coskran, a 1947 St. Thomas alumnus, offers a letter to the editor. http://www.thecatholicspirit.com/advertisements.php?article_type=Letters%20to%20the%20Editor