UST in the news
Here’s this week’s roundup of stories of interest that mention St. Thomas.
You will be able to read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to •archive• status, so be sure to read stories soon if you•re interested.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org. — Editors
- “Minnesota Scene: Dome anniversary festivities are Friday,” Star Tribune, Nov. 6, 2002. “The event [Nov. 8] will include:• A 20th anniversary cake: Students from St. John’s University, Bethel College, Concordia Moorhead and the University of St. Thomas will assemble the ‘World’s Largest Metrodome Cake.’”
- Communication Studies’ Dr. Kevin Sauter served as a political analyst during KARE-TV’s election coverage Nov. 5 and 6, 2002. (Not available online.)
- “Miracle of baby’s birth lessens family’s grief,” Star Tribune, Nov. 6, 2002. Here’s another story about Katie Amelse Burg, a 1997 UST alumna who died Nov. 1 from injuries she received in an Oct. 26 traffic accident.
See also: "Husband, child of woman killed in crash improving," Star Tribune, Nov. 12, 2002. http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/3425032.html
- “Obituary: Edward Novak, 85, former lawmaker and state official,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Nov. 6, 2002. Novak attended St. Thomas. http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/4460918.htm
- Four UST PLEGE ambassadors are pictured in the Oct. 24, 2002, issue of Gaze Guide, a bi-weekly newspaper for the Twin Cities gay and lesbian community. PLEDGE ambassadors Eric Fort, Micki Adams, Morris Goodwin III and Gabrielle Moon helped to prepare an Oct. 19 health education fair for teens on Minneapolis’ North Side. (Issue not available online, but the newspaper’s Web site is http://www.gazeguide.com.)
- “Minnesota GOP savors role in national sweep,” Star Tribune, Nov. 7, 2002. UST political scientist Dr. Nancy Zingale is quoted.
- “Coleman ran a good campaign, got better,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Nov. 7, 2002. UST political scientist Dr. Nancy Zingale is quoted. http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/4460966.htm
- “Happenings: The Metrodome: 20 years young,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Nov. 7, 2002. The 15-minute birthday celebration took place between the St. Thomas-Concordia and St. John’s-Bethel football games Nov. 8.
- “Neal St. Anthony/On Business: Capella University makes the grade for its CEO,” Star Tribune, Nov. 8, 2002. This column profiles Minneapolis-based Capella University, founded by former Tonka executive Steve Shank. “Shank says he doubts there’s a fit with the likes of the University of St. Thomas or University of Minnesota because of the different traditions and approaches. However, he said Capella is talking to at least a couple of universities about joint sponsorship of some programs.” http://www.startribune.com/stories/535/3417773.html
- “Hottinger, Entenza profiles,” Star Tribune, Nov. 8, 2002. This profile of two state legislators notes that Sen. John Hottinger is a St. Thomas alumnus.
- “Theater/dance/comedy calendar,” Star Tribune, Nov. 8, 2002. The calendar includes the performance this week of “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” by the UST-CSC Theater Department.
- The front page of the local section of the Nov. 8, 2002, St. Paul Pioneer Press carried a color photo of UST sophomores Lisa Peterson, an Air Force ROTC cadet, and Lynsey Andrews. Peterson was taking her turn marching past the quad’s flagpole during the annual Air Force ROTC Veterans’ Day 24-hour vigil. (Not available online.)
- “Weekly planner,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Nov. 8, 2002. A couple of events at UST are listed.
- “Gary McVey: Story underplayed impact of Hamline’s fundraising campaign,” Star Tribune, N
ov. 9, 2002. Here’s an op-ed piece by McVey, associate vice president for marketing and communications at Hamline. The paper had compared Hamline’s capital campaign total totals to those at UST, the University of Minnesota and Carleton.
- “Duluth finds rewards in helping Bolivian kids dream,” Star Tribune, Nov. 10, 2002. This week the Star Tribune picked up this story (published last week in the St. Paul Pioneer Press and originally published by the Duluth News Tribune). It profiles Duluth native and St. Thomas alumnus Matt Thibodeau, 31, who has started a scholarship fund for Bolivian orphans.
- “Sara Donovan,” Star Tribune, Nov. 10, 2002. Here’s a business profile on Donovan, national director of walking programs for HealthCare Dimensions Inc., a health management organization that specializes in preventive health programs. She has a graduate degree from St. Thomas. http://www.startribune.com/stories/535/3414467.html
- “Business calendar,” Star Tribune, Nov. 10, 2002. A program of the UST Center for Nonprofit Management is listed here.
- “Books calendar for Nov. 10-17,” Star Tribune, Nov. 10, 2002. A reading by ACTC writer-in-residence Michael Martone is listed here. http://www.startribune.com/stories/384/3411346.html
- “Great get-together: It took sunset, funeral, nightmare to fall in love,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Nov. 10, 2002. The paper’s weekly wedding tale features another alumnus: Teddy Michel ’99 and his new bride. He met her volunteering with the Jesuit Volunteer Corps in Anchorage, Alaska, after graduation.
- “Literary calendar,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Nov. 10, 2002. The reading by ACTC writer-in-residence Michael Martone also is listed here.
- “Activities in religion,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Nov. 9, 2002.
- “Business calendar,” Star Tribune, Nov. 11, 2002. A couple of UST items are listed here. http://www.startribune.com/stories/535/3419546.html
- “Out of obscurity,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Nov. 11, 2002. Here’s a great feature story, which took up page one of that day’s Express section, on UST’s exhibit, “Revealing the Invisible,” in O’Shaughnessy Educational Center’s lobby gallery through Dec. 18.
- Calendar of events, The Catholic Spirit, Nov. 6, 2002. A couple of UST listings appear in the archdiocesan weekly.
- “Theology of the Body calls all to union with God,” The Catholic Spirit, Nov. 6, 2002. The story mentions a discussion group that meets at St. Thomas. http://www.thecatholicspirit.com/archives.php?article=508