UST in the news
Here’s a roundup of recent stories of interest that mention St. Thomas.
Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, so be sure to read stories soon if you’re interested. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access the stories.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at
- “Allison Kaplan: In the dorm, Target succumbs to Pier pressure,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Sept. 10, 2003.
- “Sid Hartman,” Star Tribune, Sept. 11, 2003. The Strib sports columnist opines about Dr. Mark Dienhart’s appointment as executive vice president at St. Thomas.
- “Scene,” Star Tribune, Sept. 11, 2003. A column of Star Tribune’s sports briefs includes: “Former Gophers athletic director Mark Dienhart was promoted to executive vice president and chief administrative officer at the University of St. Thomas. He will assume many of the responsibilities of executive vice president Judith Dwyer, who resigned to become president of St. Xavier University of Chicago.” http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/4091095.html
- “St. Thomas promotes former Minnesota athletics director,” Star Tribune, Sept. 11. Here’s a story about the promotions of Dr. Mark Dienhart and Dr. Thomas Rochon.
- See also: “St. Thomas promotes former Minnesota athletics director,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Sept. 11, 2003.
- “Father Austin Ward brought humor to tough financial discussions,” The Catholic Spirit, Sept. 11, 2003. Ward was a St. Thomas alumnus.
- “Father Gregory Tolaas inspired others through his suffering and love for others,” The Catholic Spirit, Sept. 11, 2003. Tolaas was former director of campus ministry at UST and a 1978 alum.
- “Obituary: Postal Union lobbyist Patrick Nilan, 85,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Sept. 12, 2003. Nilan attended the College of St. Thomas before World War II intervened.
- “ Games to watch,” Star Tribune, Sept. 12, 2003. http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/4092989.html
- “HomeZone: Manufactured housing that’s built to last,” Star Tribune, Sept. 13, 2003. Dr. George Karvel, who holds the distinguished chair in real estate at St. Thomas, is quoted.
- “Activities in religion,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Sept. 13, 2003. The calendar included a mention of the annual Archbishop’s Mass With People Who Have Disabilities, held Sunday, Sept. 14, in St. Mary’s Chapel at the St. Paul Seminary School of Divinity.
- “Shooter,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Sept. 14, 2003. Sports columnist Charley Walters writes, “There’s talk the University of St. Thomas is considering constructing a dome over the school’s football field.” There’s been talk in the past about a bubble for the stadium, but that’s all it’s been, says Doug Hennes, vice president for university and government relations at UST. Rumor squelched. http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/6765745.htm
- “Monday Business Forum: Let’s forget technology fairy tales and embrace reality,” Star Tribune, Sept. 15, 2003. Forum author Tom Salonek is founder and CEO of go-e-biz, an Eagan-based e-business and e-government consulting company, and Intertech Training. He also is an instructor at the University of St. Thomas Managemen
- “Preps: Rookie coaches tackle new challenges,” Star Tribune, Sept. 16, 2003. Dan Green “was an Osseo assistant from 1977-91 and then an assistant at the University of St. Thomas for 10 years before returning to Osseo.”
- See also: “The New Guys,” Star Tribune, Sept. 16, 2003.