UST in the news
Heres a roundup of recent stories of interest that mention St. Thomas.
Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to archive status, so be sure to read stories soon if youre interested. In some cases, youll need to register on the publications Web site in order to access the stories.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at
- “Beliefs: A professor offers a critique of legal responses to reported cases of sexual abuse by the clergy,” New York Times, July 5, 2003. Patrick Schiltz, of the UST School of Law, offers his thoughts on this issue. To purchase the article from the New York Times Web site, click here:
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F40815F9345E0C768CDDAE0894DB404482To read the article free from a campus computer, click here or search the Lexis-Nexis database: http://web.lexis-nexis.com/universe/document?_m=b0989d2a1409409c60437403bb998f4b&_docnum=5&wchp=dGLbVzz-lSlzV&_md5=ff2d99fb7be08bc62ef324be9800164e
- “There is no one ‘Catholic answer’ to social problems,” The Catholic Spirit, July 10, 2003. Here is the first of a two-part series by Dr. Stephen Heaney, an associate philosophy professor at the University of St. Thomas, on society’s social ills.
- “Archbishop John Roach dies at 81,” The Catholic Spirit, July 10, 2003.
- “Members of Gov. Tim Pawlenty’s school finance task force,” Star Tribune, July 14, 2003. Among the members is UST’s Dr. Bob Brown.
http://www.startribune.com/stories/468/3987309.html See also: “Education: Governor names school spending panel,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, July 15, 2003. http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/living/education/6303965.htm
- “Med-tech execs seek federal help for manufacturers,” Star Tribune, July 15, 2003. “Grant Aldonas, Commerce undersecretary for international trade, hosted a panel that included five Minnesota medical technology companies and two representatives of trade associations who met at the University of St. Thomas in downtown Minneapolis.”
- “Senior citizen ‘lives’ by learning,” Star Tribune, July 16, 2003. Mary Lewis, a long-term student in St. Thomas’ Senior Citizens Go to College program, is profiled.
- “Funeral displays Roach’s impact,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, July 16, 2003.
- “Ms. Wheelchair Minnesota has message for America,” Brooklyn Park Sun-Post, July 10, 2003. Jennifer Onsum, 22, is a St. Thomas student.
http://www.mnsun.com/archive.asp?display=story2&year=2003&storyID=116329 You can read more about the Ms. Wheelchair Minnesota organization at http://www.misswheelchairmn.org .
- “Higher education: MnSCU trustees elect annual officers,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, July 18, 2003. “Trustees of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system on Wednesday elected their annual officers, voting Jim Luoma of Cohasset the board chairman.” Luoma has a doctorate in educational leadership from St. Thomas.
- “Around St. Paul: TV reporter to patrol State Fair — as a cop,” Star Tribune, July 18, 2003. The story is about WCCO-TV’s Caroline Lowe, who is a student in UST’s M.A. program in police leadership.