Here’s a roundup of recent St. Thomas mentions of interest in various media. Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, and if links have expired, you’re welcome to purchase access to the stories or use a search engine such as Lexis Nexis, available on the UST Libraries’ Web site. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access full text.
The list below is by no means exhaustive. If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- “What gear do college students really need?” St. Paul Pioneer Press, June 4, 2010. Dr. Aaron Macke, director of residence life at St. Thomas, and Sibel Dikmen, who recently finished her freshman year, explain.
- “Renegotiate lease or pay fees for leaving?” Star Tribune, June 6, 2010. Here’s the weekly business-advice column featuring answers by faculty experts from UST’s Opus College of Business. Herb Tousley, director of the Shenehon Center for Real Estate, is this week’s expert.
- “‘Corn-tastic,’” West Central Tribune (Willmar, Minn.), June 5, 2010. Elizabeth Olson, a St. Thomas student from Benson who is Princess Kay of the Milky Way and interned with Minnesota Corn Growers Association, created a mascot for the association to promote farming.
- “In bleak job market, fellowships provide refuge,” Finance & Commerce, June 8, 2010. “St. Thomas runs fellowships for three graduates in the areas of elder law, immigration law and community justice. The school hired its first graduate fellows in 2004.”
- “Mover: Tammy McGee,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, June 7, 2010. Augsburg College’s new vice president of finance and administration and chief financial officer has an M.B.A. from St. Thomas.
- “St. Thomas to offer rare major in family business,” MinnPost.com, June 8, 2010.
- “Minnesotans take on Katy Perry’s ‘California Gurls,'” St. Paul Pioneer Press, June 8, 2010. Students from St. Thomas, St. John’s and St. Ben’s created a fun parody that’s had nearly 50,000 YouTube hits.
- “Massive construction season for St. Thomas University,” KARE-TV, June 9, 2010.
- “Faith notes: Ecumenism conference at St. Thomas,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, June 11, 2010.
- “Bulletin Board,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, June 11, 2010. This whimsical column, written by readers, is published daily. Friday’s installment includes this vignette from “Wifey” of St. Paul: “My daughter Lilly was crying about preschool ending last week. She told me she wants to stay in preschool forever. I think it must be in her genes, as I remember crying on the last day of school every year — including after my graduation from the University of St. Thomas, when I packed up my car to move back home for the summer and drove down the freeway sobbing. When I pulled into my parents’ driveway, my dad came out to give me a big hug and said: ‘That is the best money I’ve ever spent.’ Congratulations to all the graduates, from kindergarten to college, and a happy last week of school to all students (and their extremely hard-working teachers)!” Well put, Wifey.