Here’s a roundup of recent St. Thomas mentions of interest in various media. Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, and if links have expired, you’re welcome to purchase access to the stories or use a search engine such as Lexis Nexis, available on the UST Libraries’ Web site. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access full text.
The list below is by no means exhaustive. If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- “Opinion: Minnesota among few states not raising revenues,” Spring Grove Herald, Sept. 8, 2009.
- “School doors open for vets,” Star Tribune, Sept. 9, 2009.
- “Obama’s health care speech: Why Minnesota?” Minnesota Public Radio, Sept. 9, 2009. “Former Republican Sen. Dave Durenberger, who chairs the National Institute of Health Policy at the University of St. Thomas, said it’s time for Congress to address access to health care and the cost of care. But he said it will have to be done with Democratic votes.”
- “City ponders plan to punish adults who let kids drink,” Star Tribune, Sept. 10, 2009. “The proposal came about because of ongoing concerns about underage drinking and complaints about college parties, Stark said. Hamline University, Macalester College and the University of St. Thomas are all in Stark’s ward, and he says he gets frequent complaints.”
- See also: “Shooter Now: Could one Mauer end up playing for another with Minnesota Twins?” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Sept. 10, 2009.
- Charley Walters, St. Paul Pioneer Press, Sept. 11, 2009. “Could Twins all-star catcher Joe Mauer end up playing for older brother Jake in the major leagues someday? That’s not a farfetched notion. It will be announced that Jake Mauer, 29, has been named the 16-team Gulf Coast League’s manager of the year. Mauer, a former Twins minor league infielder and University of St. Thomas All-American, guided his rookie league Fort Myers (Fla.) Twins to a 34-21 (.618) record in just his second season as a minor league manager. The Twins’ organization thinks enough of Mauer that he has been entrusted with managing its prized prospects in the Florida Instructional League that begins next week in Fort Myers.”
- “Area college football update,” Star Tribune, Sept. 11, 2009. In the “By the numbers” section of this column: “180 – Punt return yards for St. Thomas sophomore Fritz Waldvogel in the Tommies’ 54-14 victory over Macalester. Waldvogel returned punts 68 and 74 yards for touchdowns and another for 38 yards.”
- “Digital Mike,” Rochester Post-Bulletin, Sept. 13, 2009. Kudos for TommieMedia.com. The columnist is St. Thomas alumnus Mike Dougherty ’89.
- See also: TommieMedia.com was highlighted on Twin Cities Public Television’s “Almanac” program, Sept. 11, 2009.
- “Healthy Minnesota offers Obama model for nation,” East Valley Tribune (Mesa, Ariz.) and many other newspapers, Sept. 11, 2009. In this opinion piece, distributed by Associated Press: “‘If he really wants to talk about the future and where you can see it, you’d come to a place like this,’ said former U.S. Sen. David Durenberger, a Republican who leads the National Institute of Health Policy at the University of St. Thomas in Minneapolis.”
- “Stimulus keeps tuition flowing at colleges,” Minneapolis-St. Paul Business Journal, Sept. 14, 2009. “About 15 percent of the total so far, or about $11 million, will reach students attending nonprofit private institutions, such as Augsburg College and University of St. Thomas. Pro Publica’s tracking shows the money as going directly to schools, though once it reaches educational institutions, it is credited to student accounts.”
- “Turning from apples to ‘agritainment,'” Star Tribune, Sept. 14, 2009. About the managers of Minnetonka Orchards: “An engineer, Scott Schaper had designed hydraulic components for 20 years. Jay Schaper left his position as director of strategic relationships at a software company. He previously had run a concessions company and a janitorial services company. In 2003 he earned an MBA at the University of St. Thomas Opus College of Business.”
- Swine flu is here and ‘gaining steam,'” Star Tribune, Sept. 15, 2009. “Many Minnesota colleges have installed extra hand sanitizers in libraries and dorms, and on Monday faculty at the University of St. Thomas were encouraged to remind students to use hand cleansers and wipe down shared keyboards in campus computer labs.”