UST in the news
Here’s a roundup of recent St. Thomas mentions of interest in various media. Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, and if links have expired, you’re welcome to purchase access to the stories or use a search engine such as Lexis Nexis, available on the UST Libraries’ Web site. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access full text.
The list below is by no means exhaustive. If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at email@example.com .
- “Can you say, Gov. Kohls?” Waconia Patriot, June 24, 2009. State Rep. Paul Kohls ’96, of Victoria, announced that he’s running for governor. http://www.waconiapatriot.com/articles/2009/06/27/waconia_patriot/news/news01.txt
- “Council of Catholic Women holds annual conference,” The Catholic Herald (Diocese of Superior, Wis.), June 26, 2009. “Dr. Michael Naughton, Professor of Catholic Studies and Law at the University of St. Thomas, spoke to the group about integrating work and leisure.” http://www.catholicherald.org/local/articles/sdccw062009.html
- “Commentary — Minnesota joins Louisiana, Georgia as anti-tax,” Morris Sun Tribune, June 26, 2009. “Growth & Justice issued a policy brief in May, co-authored by University of St. Thomas economist emerita Marsha Blumenthal, that showed only modest job loss from income tax increases, while noting that job losses from deep cuts could be larger.” The writer, Dane Smith, is president of the St. Paul-based think-tank Growth & Justice and a former Twin Cities journalist. He is a 1977 St. Thomas alumnus. http://www.morrissuntribune.com/articles/index.cfm?id=17898§ion=opinion
- “Jesse Burish ordained in face of waning priest numbers,” Wausau (Wis.) Daily Herald, June 27, 2009. “After studying two years in Milwaukee, Burish transferred to the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minn., where he studied philosophy in the St. John Vianney Seminary.” Among those present at Burish’s ordination: Dr. Victoria Young of UST’s Art History Department. http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/article/20090627/WDH0101/906270383/1981
- ” Tim Flynn: A challenge, from an optimist, to this year’s graduates,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, June 28, 2009. St. Thomas alumnus Flynn is a member of the university’s Board of Trustees. http://www.twincities.com/opinion/ci_12698977
- “Ask the outside expert,” Star Tribune, June 29, 2009. Here’s the weekly column featuring faculty experts from UST’s Opus College of Business. http://www.startribune.com/business/49207542.html
- “A life in service: Bishop ordained,” St. Paul Pioneer Press video, June 30, 2009. Here’s coverage of Bishop Lee Piché’s ordination. Piché is a member of the St. Thomas Board of Trustees. http://www.twincities.com/national/ci_12717464
- “Lakeville grad Radcliffe named MIAC Pitcher of Year,” Thisweek Newspapers (Dakota County), July 1, 2009. “University of St. Thomas junior Marta Radcliffe, a 2005 Lakeville High School graduate, was named the MIAC Pitcher of the Year and was one of four Tommies softball players voted to the 23-player All-MIAC softball first team.” http://www.thisweeklive.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10186&Itemid=1838
- “The theology of the Simpsons,” The Methodist Examiner, July 1, 2009. “’ This is not the be-all and end-all of theology on TV, but the most consistent and intelligent treatment of religion on TV is on The Simpsons,’ [said] David Landry, theologian and New Testament scholar, University of St. Thomas.” http://www.examiner.com/x-8276-Methodist-Examiner~y2009m7d1-The-theology-of-the-Simpsons