UST in the news
Here’s a roundup of recent St. Thomas mentions of interest in various media. Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to "archive" status, and if links have expired, you’re welcome to purchase access to the stories or use a search engine such as Lexis Nexis, available on the UST Libraries’ Web site. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access full text.
The list below is by no means exhaustive. If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at email@example.com.
- "Catholic identity: more than a mandatum," National Catholic Reporter, Nov. 14, 2008. "[Association of Catholic Colleges and Universities President Richard] Yanikoski ticked off several instances, including efforts at the university of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minn., to foster a distinctively Catholic approach to civil law, and the Center for Sport, Spirituality and Character Development at Neumann College in Pennsylvania, which is now being exported across the country to help coaches bring Catholic values to bear on highly competitive athletics programs." http://ncronline3.org/drupal/?q=node/2495
- "Financial crisis as a learning opportunity," National Catholic Reporter, Nov. 14, 2008. [Dr. Christopher] Puto, dean of the University of St. Thomas’ Opus College of Business in Minneapolis, remarked: "There are powerful lessons here on the issues of greed, selfishness and the need for sound moral judgment that offer great insight for young people at the start of their careers." http://ncronline3.org/drupal/?q=node/2497
- "Twin Cities teen hopes to reclaim his dreams after emerging from 40-day coma," St. Paul Pioneer Press, Nov. 28, 2008. http://www.twincities.com/ci_11090604
- "Prudential halts deal with largest Minnesota franchise," Business Courier of Cincinnati, Nov. 28, 2008. "Tom Musil, director of the Shenehon Center for Real Estate at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, said it’s no surprise that real estate firms are in flux right now, as companies are forced to adjust to the market’s dramatic slowdown." http://cincinnati.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/othercities/twincities/stories/2008/12/01/story8.html
- "Shop ’til you drop? This group says not," Star Tribune, Nov. 29, 2008. " Surveys predict that consumers will spend less on gifts this year as they adjust to the sour economy. Holiday spending is expected to be nearly 12 percent lower than last year, according to a recent University of St. Thomas report on holiday spending in Minnesota." http://www.startribune.com/business/35241299.html
- "Icing on the cake turns into a business," Star Tribune, Dec. 1, 2008. "The expert says: Mark Spriggs, chairman of the Entrepreneurship Department at the University of St. Thomas’ Opus College of Business, recommended that Porter undertake some efforts to improve the visibility of her cakes, both online and in person.’The biggest piece is figuring out how to get the visual out there so people see it,’ Spriggs said. ‘When you see it, you’re impressed and you’ll want to buy one of them.’" http://www.startribune.com/business/35233794.html
- Dr. Carol Bruess, of the College of Arts and Sciences’ Communication and Journalism Department, discussed her second book, What Happy Parents Do, on KARE-TV’s "Showcase Minnesota" program, Dec. 1, 2008. http://www.showcaseminnesota.com/show/client_article.aspx?storyid=530632
- St. Thomas ‘ Christmas concert is showcased on the December 2008 cover of TPT magazine, a publication of Twin Cities Public Television. http://issuu.com/tpt_magazine/docs/dec_mag_web?mode=embed&documentId=081114153713-752156569fb640ddababf49ba50af4ad&layout=grey