UST in the news
Here’s a roundup of recent St. Thomas mentions of interest in various media. Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, and if links have expired, you’re welcome to purchase access to the stories or use a search engine such as Lexis Nexis, available on the UST Libraries’ Web site. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access full text.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- "Letters to the editor," Star Tribune, May 7, 2008. A reader weighs in on the Planned Parenthood controversy at the UST School of Law. http://www.startribune.com/opinion/letters/18705209.html
- Gov. Pawlenty appoints 5 to Council on Black Minnesotans, ECM Publishers ( Coon Rapids, Minn.), May 6, 2008. http://hometownsource.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4915&Itemid=29
- "One man’s battle for long-term aid could become more common as elderly juggle assets," Star Tribune, May 8, 2008. "Without the help of some University of St. Thomas law students, Mayne might have lost his benefits." http://www.startribune.com/local/south/18751924.html
- "Homegrown cleric realized his dream," Albany (N.Y.) Times Union, May 6, 2008. "[Retired Archbishop Harry] Flynn will remain in Minnesota, where he maintains an office at the campus of the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul." http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=686327&category=ALBANY&BCCode=&newsdate=5/6/2008
- St. Thomas president welcomes pope’s affirmation, The Catholic Spirit, May 8, 2008. http://thecatholicspirit.com/main.asp?SectionID=16&SubsectionID=16&ArticleID=1950&TM=56939.14
- Rwandan genocide survivor speaks words of forgiveness, The Catholic Spirit, May 8, 2008. http://thecatholicspirit.com/main.asp?SectionID=33&SubsectionID=37&ArticleID=1930&TM=56939.14
- "Runner’s Olympic dream coming true — 8 years late," MinnPost, May 8, 2008. Roman Cress ’03 is competing for the Marshall Islands at this summer’s Olympic Games.
- " Edina couple gives $10 million to St. Thomas for scholarships," Star Tribune, May 9, 2008. http://www.startribune.com/local/18771094.html
- " Family donates $10 million to St. Thomas," Minnesota Public Radio, May 9, 2008. http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2008/05/09/donation/
- " St. Thomas gets $10M gift from ex-Waldorf Paper CEO," Minneapolis-St. Paul Business Journal, May 9, 2008. http://twincities.bizjournals.com/twincities/stories/2008/05/05/daily41.html?jst=pn_pn_lk
- "Duets: Judy and Quentin, from loss comes love," Star Tribune, May 10, 2008. "How do you carry on without your mother? [Quentin Moore] moved into the dorms at the University of St. Thomas on a full scholarship. And a couch appeared. Then homemade caramels, gift cards, notebooks, food, posters, pillows and athletic shoes for 6-foot-4 Quentin’s size 14 feet." http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/family/18802179.html
- "Thriving while many other retailers struggle, Costco will open its first east-metro store," St. Paul Pioneer Press, May 11, 2008. "’The typical store did about $128 million (in sales),’ said David Brennan, co-director of the Institute for Retailing Excellence at the University of St. Thomas. ‘That’s about $1,000 a square foot. That’s more than twice the average Wal-Mart Supercenter.’" http://www.twincities.com/business/ci_9217835
- "He sparked the car industry," Investor’s Business Daily, May 12, 2008. "Leland’s fame spread. Around this time, investors in another company — led by Henry Ford — had grown frustrated with the startup’s results. So in 1902 they asked Leland and his son to head up the firm and its reorganization, says Frank Zimmerman, a former professor of engineering and technology at the University of St. Thomas in Minnesota." http://ca.biz.yahoo.com/ibd/080512/lands.html?.v=1
- "The ‘yarn harlot’ leads a knitting revolution," Minnesota Public Radio, May 13, 2008. "More than 600 knitters packed into an auditorium at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul to listen to words of wisdom from Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, the woman who calls herself the Yarn Harlot." http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2008/05/13/harlot/
- "How Healthy Is The Job Market For College Grads?" WCCO-TV, May 13, 2008. "’Every student’s concerned until their job offer comes in the mail. That’s something that we’ve always seen,’ said Bill Woodson, assistant dean for University of St. Thomas MBA programs. ‘We’re seeing placements rates that are right with last year’s experience.’ University of St. Thomas tracks its students’ employment after college. Its most recent survey found 85 percent of the undergraduate class of 2007 was employed full-time, part-time, volunteer or in the military service." http://wcco.com/local/graduate.job.market.2.723491.html
- " St. Thomas tattoos Knox 15-1 in NCAA opener," Galesburg ( Ill.) Register-News, May 14, 2008. http://www.gal