UST in the news
Heres a roundup of recent stories of interest that mention St. Thomas.
Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to archive status, so be sure to read stories soon if youre interested. In some cases, youll need to register on the publications Web site in order to access the stories.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at
Please note: This week’s column contains stories published April 8-11. — Editors
- “Pioneer of St. Thomas journalism department dies,” KSTP-TV, April 8, 2003. http://www.kstp.com/article/view/91397/
- “James Whalen, pioneer pf St. Thomas journalism department, dies,” WCCO-TV, April 8, 2003.
- “Obituary: Leah Curtin, 79, was advocate for Irish,” St. Paul Pioneer Press. Curtin had a master’s degree from St. Thomas.
- “Obituary: The Rev. James Whalen, founder of University of St. Thomas Journalism Department, dies at 78,” Star Tribune, April 9, 2003.
- “Obituary: The Rev. James Whalen, 78, professor and priest,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, April 9, 2003.
- “Library board approves discussions about sharing costs,” Star Tribune, April 9, 2003.
- “Calendar of events,” The Catholic Spirit, April 10, 2003. http://www.thecatholicspirit.com/archives.php?article=1042 and http://www.thecatholicspirit.com/archives.php?article=1015
- “Father James Whalen, 78, taught journalism 35 years,” The Catholic Spirit, April 10, 2003.
- “Women’s forum looks at economic justice,” The Catholic Spirit, April 10, 2003.
- “Around St. Paul,” Star Tribune, April 11, 2003. Joe Kimball – a St. Thomas journalism alumnus — wrote a nice tribute to Father James Whalen, who died April 8. http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/3818566.html
- “Free Time art calendar,” Star Tribune, April 11, 2003. http://www.startribune.com/stories/1375/3815302.html
- “Joe Soucheray: An A for the mysterious, the great Father Whalen,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, April 11, 2003.