UST in the news
Here’s a roundup of recent St. Thomas mentions of interest in various media. Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, and if links have expired, you’re welcome to purchase access to the stories or use a search engine such as Lexis Nexis, available on the UST Libraries’ Web site. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access full text.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at email@example.com.
- " Catechetical institute begins first classes this fall," The Catholic Spirit, April 17, 2008. http://thecatholicspirit.com/main.asp?SectionID=37&SubsectionID=42&ArticleID=1764&TM=38353.3
- "Learning to read God’s ‘first book’ is to grow in holiness," The Catholic Spirit, April 17, 2008. http://thecatholicspirit.com/main.asp?SectionID=79&SubSectionID=268&ArticleID=1797&TM=38462.87
- "Ethicist to speak on Pope Paul VI’s ‘Humanae Vitae,’" The Catholic Spirit, April 17, 2008. http://thecatholicspirit.com/main.asp?Search=1&ArticleID=1793&SectionID=79&SubSectionID=&S=1
- "Four men to be ordained transitional deacons May 3," The Catholic Spirit, April 17, 2008. http://thecatholicspirit.com/main.asp?SectionID=79&SubSectionID=104&ArticleID=1852&TM=39175.97
- "’Great, great to be in this profession,’" Fargo Forum, April 23, 2008. Beth Ekre, a student in UST’s Master’s in Curriculum and Instruction Program, was named Teacher of the Year in the Fargo, N.D., public school district. http://www.in-forum.com/archive/index.cfm?page=archive_article&id=426088
- "The buzz on a buzzword," Star Tribune, April 24, 2008. "’Green is a buzzword,’ said Elise Amel, director of environmental studies at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul. ‘It’s a shorthand way of talking about sustainability.’" http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/18003109.html
- "Panel to take a stab at overhauling state’s tax code," Star Tribune, April 24, 2008. "Former Sen. Bill Belanger, R-Bloomington, will also serve on the board, along with representatives from Medtronic, Target and General Mills and several accountants and businesspeople. John Spry, an associate professor of finance at the University of St. Thomas, is the commission’s lone academic. The only nonprofit member is Mark Haveman, executive director of the Minnesota Taxpayers’ Association, a nonpartisan research organization founded in 1926." http://www.startribune.com/politics/state/18046774.html
- "One Couple, 2 Jobs at Binghamton; New Leader at Ithaca; Astronaut Lands at McMaster," Chronicle of Higher Education, April 24, 2008. http://chronicle.com/free/v54/i33/33a03201.htm
- "Good Question: Are Compliments As Valuable As Cash?" WCCO-TV, April 24, 2008. Dr. John Buri of the UST Psychology Department contributes to the explanation. http://wcco.com/goodquestion/compliments.valuable.cash.2.708137.html
- "Minn.-Born Author Gives Tips For Long Life" WCCO-TV, April 24, 2008. St. Thomas alumnus Dan Beuttner is the subject of this story, distributed by the Associated Press. http://wcco.com/local/blue.zones.book.2.708156.html
- "Ask a consultant," Star Tribune, April 28, 2008. Here’s the weekly business-advice column featuring experts from UST’s Opus College of Business. http://www.startribune.com/business/18221484.html
- "76 cited for underage drinking at St. Paul party," Star Tribune, April 29, 2008. http://www.startribune.com/local/stpaul/18352329.html