UST in the news
Here’s a roundup of recent St. Thomas mentions of interest in various media. Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, and if links have expired, you’re welcome to purchase access to the stories or use a search engine such as Lexis Nexis, available on the UST Libraries’ Web site. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access full text.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at email@example.com.
- "Bridges never fall in students’ perfect cities; Engineering event at St. Thomas blends math, science, fun," St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 25, 2008. "The competition at the University of St. Thomas allows students to display their skills with computer software, research, writing and speaking as they create modern cities. Teams will vie for a chance to qualify for the national competition, held in Washington next month." http://www.twincities.com//ci_8080679
- "Mounds View team’s ‘future city’ wins," St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 26, 2008. "Chippewa Middle School in the Mounds View school district was the top team in a final round of five at the Future City Competition held Saturday at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul." http://www.twincities.com//ci_8089248
- "Questions with Bob Sansevere: St. Thomas football coach Glenn Caruso," St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 29, 2008. http://www.twincities.com//ci_8104195
- "Obituary: A professor who ‘could change your life,’" Star Tribune, Jan. 31, 2008. "Joseph Connors, a University of St. Thomas English professor who presented literature in the context of the history, politics and culture of the time of its writing, probably affected the lives of thousands of students over the years." http://www.startribune.com/obituaries/15048151.html
- "St. Thomas’ plans for parking ramp get neighbors’ blessing," St. Paul Pioneer Press, Feb. 1, 2008. (The headline in the paper version: "School builds without a fight.") http://www.twincities.com//ci_8134983
- "Fairview On Call with Dr. Gretchen Phillips," WCCO Radio, Feb. 3, 2008. Phillips’ show featured an interview with Dr. Carol Bruess, of UST’s Journalism and Communication Department faculty, and Anna Kudak, co-authors of What Happy Couples Do. http://www.wccoradio.com/pages/3702.php?contentType=34&contentId=232
- "The Three Graces," Star Tribune, Feb. 3, 2008. Here’s a nice feature about the writing Erdrich sisters. Dr. Heid Erdrich is a former St. Thomas English Department. http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/books/15083971.html
- "Humboldt schools to team up for success," Star Tribune, Feb. 3, 2008. "And the school’s partnerships with 3M Co., the University of Minnesota, the University of St. Thomas and St. Olaf College allow for greater possibilities in college and career technical training and internships." http://www.startribune.com/local/stpaul/15042966.html
- "Today’s spotlight: Grayce Belvedere-Young," Star Tribune, Feb. 4, 2008. The president of organizational performance for the Prouty Project management consulting firm is a St. Thomas alumna. http://www.startribune.com/business/15122906.html
- "Ask a consultant," Star Tribune, Feb. 4, 2008. Jack Militello of the Opus College of Business answers a reader’s question. http://www.startribune.com/business/15128141.html
- "Picking the Right College for Students, Parents," WCCO-TV, Feb. 4, 2008. "This year, the University of St. Thomas will receive more than 5,000 applications. Marla Friederichs runs the admissions office at the University of St. Thomas. ‘Fifteen years ago we only dealt with seniors in high school. Right now we buy names of sophomores to get them into our mailing system,’ she said. When it comes to accepting students, there isn’t really as much mystery as you may think. ‘It’s a very clear cut combination of grades and test scores and achievement and all those things that they control,’ said Friederichs." http://wcco.com/education/picking.right.college.2.645868.html