UST in the news
Here’s a roundup of recent St. Thomas mentions of interest in various media. Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, and if links have expired, you’re welcome to purchase access to the stories or use a search engine such as Lexis Nexis, available on the UST Libraries’ Web site. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access full text.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- "The hockey family has St. Thomas Academy riding high," Star Tribune, Dec. 11, 2007. "They are a family that has made its mark on Minnesota hockey. Both Tom and his older son Mike were captains at the University of Minnesota. Greg was a two-time All-America at St. Thomas University. Tom and Greg have three brothers (Ron, Michael and Mark) who played college hockey, and their father, Ron, was a WCHA referee." http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/12330966.html
- "St. Cloud seeks clues in racial graffiti cases," Star Tribune, Dec. 14, 2007. "Other colleges in Minnesota has experienced similar incidents this school year. In October, three black women at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul received hate messages." http://www.startribune.com/local/12474576.html
- "Good Question: What Are The Holiday Tipping Rules?" WCCO-TV, Dec. 13, 2007. Here’s a rerun of a piece produced last Christmas season. http://wcco.com/goodquestion/Good.Question.holidays.2.363730.html
- "Author was leader in pacifism movement," St. Paul Pioneer Press, Dec. 15, 2007. Gordon Zahn was a St. Thomas alumnus. http://www.twincities.com/ci_7725898
- "Wal-Mart’s exit is boon, bane for communities," St. Cloud Times, Dec. 15, 2007. "If Wal-Mart vacates its buildings, it will leave prime property for the next buyer, said George Karvel, a real estate professor at the University of St. Thomas and former St. Cloud State University real estate professor." http://www.sctimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071215/NEWS01/112150030/1009
- "Ask a consultant," Star Tribune, Dec. 17, 2007. http://www.startribune.com/business/12483446.html
- "Last-second shoppers can buy more time than ever online," St. Paul Pioneer Press, Dec. 18, 2007. "The boom in online retailing is pushing retailers and shipping companies such as UPS and FedEx to take their service up a notch. ‘Business at the speed of light has become increasingly important to people,’ said David Brennan, codirector of the Institute for Retailing Excellence at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul." http://www.twincities.com/ci_7747049
- "A giant of Catholic nonviolence dies," National Catholic Reporter, Dec. 21, 2007. Columnist Michael True writes, "Is it mere coincidence that [Gordon Zahn’s] alma mater now harbors one of the best programs in peace and conflict studies in the United States?" http://ncronline.org/NCR_Online/archives2/2007d/122107/122107l.htm
- " St. Cloud State students are fine-tuning their safety radar," Star Tribune, Dec. 19, 2007. "St. Cloud State is at least the fourth college or university in the state that has experienced a racial incident since the beginning of the school year, joining the University of St. Thomas, Hamline University and Minneapolis Community and Technical College." http://www.startribune.com/local/12616466.html