UST in the news
Here’s a roundup of recent St. Thomas mentions of interest in various media. Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, and if links have expired, you’re welcome to purchase access to the stories or use a search engine such as Lexis Nexis, available on the UST Libraries’ Web site. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access full text.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- "College visits that really click," Star Tribune, June 10, 2007. "At the University of St. Thomas, admissions officials also have jumped on the online trend. ‘As an institution that prides itself on personal attention, when our first interaction with students is via the Web it has been a challenge,’ said Marla Friederichs, associate vice president for admissions and financial aid. "It’s challenged all institutions to bring their efforts up to speed." http://www.startribune.com/389/story/1234135.html
- District hires new deputy," The Oklahoman (Oklahoma City, Okla.), June 10, 2007. "Oklahoma City Public Schools on Thursday appointed Brenda Cassellius as deputy superintendent. … She has 17 years of educational experience and earned her bachelor of arts degree from the University of Minnesota and her master of arts in secondary education from the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minn." http://newsok.com/article/3064426
- "Sunday Super Shooter," St. Paul Pioneer Press, June 10, 2007. Gleaned from Charley ("Shooter") Walters’ Sunday sports column: "Hopkins point guard Tyler Nicolai is headed to the University of St. Thomas … . … Regarding the concern about the lack of young African-Americans playing baseball, the MIAC pitcher of the year is Lonnie Robinson of St. Thomas, and the runner-up is Kyle Foster of Hamline. Both are African-Americans." http://www.twincities.com/searchresults/ci_6104214
- "Today’s spotlight: Nancy Dahl," Star Tribune, June 11, 2007. The new executive vice president of sales and marketing for Cambria Co., Le Sueur, Minn., is a St. Thomas alumna. http://www.startribune.com/535/story/1235433.html
- "Outside consultant," Star Tribune, June 11, 2007. http://www.startribune.com/535/story/1235296.html
- "New opportunities in child’s play ," Star Tribune, June 11, 2007. "The expert says: Richard Rexeisen, marketing professor at the University of St. Thomas Opus College of Business, said that introducing the Evos play equipment and establishing an employee stock ownership program are both smart moves for Landscape Structures." http://www.startribune.com/535/story/1235478.html
- "USM hosting business seminar," Sun Journal ( Lewiston, Maine), June 12, 2007. "’Building Family Boards and Councils’ is sponsored by the University of Southern Maine’s Institute for Family-Owned Business … . Keynoters for the conference include Anne Eiting Klamar, CEO, president and a member of the fourth generation leading the Midmark Corp. of Versailles, Ohio; Tom Chappell, founder of Tom’s of Maine and the Saltwater Institute; and Mary Schmid Daugherty, a finance professor at the University of St. Thomas, Minneapolis, a third-generation family business owner, and president of the Family Council." http://www.sunjournal.com/story/216336-3/Business/USM_hosting_business_seminar/#
- "Dick Youngblood: For this ‘virtual’ firm, every day is flex time," Star Tribune, June 13, 2007. "[Terrie Wheeler] took a rather efficient approach to drawing up her business plan: In pursuing a master’s degree in business communications at the University of St. Thomas, she used the research for the plan as the basis for her master’s thesis." http://www.startribune.com/539/story/1242116.html
- "Well-rounded athletes round out two rosters," Star Tribune, June 14, 2007. "Both [coaches] graduated from Cretin — Lechner in 1971, O’Neill in 1974 — and played on baseball and hockey teams that won championships when private schools had their own state tournaments. Both went on to athletic success at the University of St. Thomas before turning to teaching and coaching as vocations." http://www.startribune.com/526/story/1244616.html
- New Houlton principal named," Hudson ( Wis.) Star-Observer, June 14, 2007. Ann Mitchell is "currently enrolled in the educational leadership doctoral program at the University of St. Thomas." http://www.hudsonstarobserver.com/articles/index.cfm?id=24562§ion=homepage
- "Seven appointed to CAPM Board," Asian American Press, June 14, 2007. Among appointees to the Council on Asian-Pacific Minnesotans is Terry Cheng. "Cheng, of Plymouth, is an operating engineer for Wells Fargo Bank. He is currently working on a master’s degree in technology management from the University of St. Thomas and holds a bachelor of science degree in electrical engineering from the University of Washington in Seattle. Cheng is a board member of the Chinese American Academic and Professional Association and a member of the downtown Minneapolis YMCA board of directors." http://www.aapress.com/index.php?subaction=showcomments&id=1181863924&archive=&start_from=&ucat=3