UST in the news
Here’s a roundup of recent St. Thomas mentions of interest in various media. Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, so be sure to read stories soon if you’re interested. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access the stories.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at email@example.com.
- “UnitedHealth at center of stock option scandal ,” WCCO-TV, July 12, 2006. “[ UST College of Business] Professor Jane Saly from St. Thomas University helped WCCO-TV review 10 years of stock options for United.” Dr. Kenneth Goodpaster, who holds UST’s Koch Chair in Business ethics, also comments. http://wcco.com/local/local_story_193004023.html
- “At a glance: Macalester-Groveland,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, July 29, 2006. Here’s a look at the Macalester-Groveland neighborhood, which includes St. Thomas. http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/living/home/15139019.htm
- “Whinnery helps Saints end skid,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, July 30, 2006. “Brian Whinnery had a debut to remember. The former University of St. Thomas standout pitched three scoreless relief innings and earned the win as the St. Paul Saints ended a six-game losing streak with a 10-7 win over the Sioux Falls Canaries in front of a sellout crowd of 6,530 at Midway Stadium.” http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/baseball/minor_league/st_paul_saints/15155867.htm
- “Auctioneering champ made a bid for a career change,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, July 30, 2006. “Kristine Fladeboe Duininck liked her work as a pharmaceutical sales representative. But something seemed to be missing. … She left home after high school for St. Paul to major in business and communications at the University of St. Thomas.” http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/living/15138514.htm
- “Outside consultant,” Star Tribune, July 31, 2006. Here’s the regular business advice column, courtesy of UST College of Business experts. http://www.startribune.com/535/story/579113.html
- “American Refugee Committee team heading for Middle East,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Aug. 1, 2006. “Among the relief team … Jerry Farrell, a former University of St. Thomas professor who has directed ARC’s efforts in Darfur for two years.” http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/breaking_news/15171807.htm
- “Tending memories,” Star Tribune, Aug. 2, 2006. This story, about gardens Twin Cities people have created in memory of loved ones, includes the garden that Robert Foy, retired UST English professor, designed and planted in memory of his wife, Nancy. A photo gallery accompanies the story. http://www.startribune.com/418/story/585917.html
- “Obituary: Jeanne Lingbeck,” Star Tribune, Aug. 2, 2006. She was the retired principal of Burnsville ‘s Vista View Elementary School and died July 18 of brain cancer. She was 59. She earned a doctorate in education from the University of St. Thomas in 1998. http://www.startribune.com/332/story/583828.html
- See also: This Week Newspapers, July 31, 2006. http://www.thisweek-online.com/2006/July/28b-lingbeck.html
- “Sports, academics perfect mix for summer learners,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Aug. 2, 2006 . “[For the Cultural Academic Athletic program (CAAP)] Inver Grove students joined white, black, Asian and Latino students from St. Paul, Roseville and White Bear Lake for weeklong sessions at the University of St. Thomas and Concordia University in St. Paul.” http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/living/education/15176554.htm
- “A faltering program with a huge impact,” Star Tribune, Aug. 2, 2006. Here’s an interesting story about St. Thomas and the National Youth Sports Program. http://www.startribune.com/513/story/589318.html