UST in the news
Here’s a roundup of recent stories of interest that mention St. Thomas.
Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to archive status, so be sure to read stories soon if youre interested. In some cases, youll need to register on the publications Web site in order to access the stories.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at
- “MBA programs still thrive despite corporate scandals,” Finance and Commerce, Dec. 10, 2002. Dr. Christopher Puto, dean of the College of Business, is quoted extensively.
- “Neal St. Anthony/On Business: Corporate lawyer Pat Delaney turns the page,” Star Tribune, Dec. 20, 2002. He’s a St. Thomas alumnus. http://www.startribune.com/stories/535/3544707.html
- “So, you’re sorry. Well, don’t just say so, prove it!” Star Tribune, Dec. 21, 2002. Among those quoted is Mary Lemmons, associate professor of philosophy and Catholic studies at St. Thomas.
- “The appointees,” Star Tribune, Dec. 24, 2002. Dan Salomone, new state revenue commissioner, has been an adjunct faculty member at St. Thomas.
- “Funeral held for South St. Paul grocery clerk,” Star Tribune, Dec. 25, 2002, and “Clerk fatally shot at family store was filling in for his brother,” Dec. 24, 2002. According to these stories, Khaled Al-Bakri, murdered Dec. 22, 2002, was ready to begin classes at UST.
http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/3554405.html and http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/3552636.html
- “Editorial: University Avenue / College town idea advances,” Star Tribune, Dec. 26, 2002.
- “73 years as a nun: Her commitment to the poor knew no fatigue,” Star Tribune, Dec. 28, 2002. Angela Kuharski, a senior UST journalism student, wrote this story. http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/3556200.html
- “Minnesota companies mine new trade territories,” Star Tribune, Dec. 28, 2002. UST’s Dr. Fred Zimmerman, Programs in Engineering and Technology Management, is quoted. http://www.startribune.com/stories/535/3558883.html
- “Olson, Kupchella profiles,” Star Tribune, Dec. 31, 2002. Leslie Kupchella, Gov. Tim Pawlenty’s press secretary, is studying for a master of business communication degree at St. Thomas.
- “Erin Olson came into the world 17 days early … ,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 2, 2003. The Twin Cities’ first baby of the new year was born to St. Thomas alumna Shaun (Leslie) Olson and her husband, Rick. Shaun, a member of the Alumni Association board, is a 1994 graduate.
- “The new year brings economic hopes, fears of potential war,” The Business Journal, Jan. 3, 2003. Dr. Fred Zimmerman, Programs in Engineering and Technology Management, is quoted.
- “Weaver, Fabian profiles,” Star Tribune, Jan. 3, 2003. Minnesota’s new corrections commissioner Joan Fabian has a graduate degree from St. Thomas.
- “Area Update: Toms’ Fritz seeks 400th win,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 4, 2003.
- “Pawlenty targets medical costs,” Star Tribune, Jan. 4, 2003. “Pawlenty said he hoped to move quickly to institute the changes. He also said he has named former U.S. Sen. Dave Durenberger to head a task force looking into health care costs. Durenberger, who now heads the National Institute of Health Policy at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, has been widely regarded as an expert on health-care policy since his days in the U.S. Senate from 1978 to 1994.”
- “Slow recovery expected for state’s manufacturing sector,” Star Tribune, Jan. 4, 2003. UST’s Dr. Fred Zimmerman, Programs in Engineering and Technology Management, is quoted.
- “Fritz gets victory No. 400,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 5, 2003. Congrats to UST men’s basketball coach and athletic director, Steve Fritz.
- “Protesters now earning degrees in peacemaking,” Associated Press, Jan. 5, 2003. This story originated Dec. 17, 2002, in the Star Tribune. http://www.startribune.com/stories/468/3573309.html
- “Community colleges going after gifted students,” Star Tribune, Jan. 5, 2003. A Century College spokeswoman says students “can save 40 percent on a University of St. Thomas degree by coming to Century for their first two years.”
- “Cy Thao: An early lesson in politics,” Star Tribune, Jan. 5, 2003. Thao, 30, is the new state representative for St. Paul’s Frogtown district. He has a teaching degree from St. Thomas.
- “Tommies coach Fritz earns 400th victory,” Star Tribune, Jan. 5, 2003.
- “Business calendar,” Star Tribune, Jan. 5, 2003. http://www.startribune.com/stories/535/3566154.html
- “Twin Cities technology events,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 6, 2003. A ColdFusion user group meets here.
- “Toni Coleman/Fast Lane: Express bus may come to West Seventh after all,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 6, 2003. Among proposed Metro Transit bus routes is a rush-hour-only Route 134, which would operate all day on weekdays and on Saturdays. It would connect St. Thomas’ Minneapolis and St. Paul campuses, the College of St. Catherine’s Minneapolis and St. Paul campuses and serve Augsburg College.
- “Twin Cities Business Monthly’s annual ‘What Business Thinks’ poll: 3M, Target, Medtronic top list of companies with best reputations,” Star Tribune, Jan. 6, 2003. This PR Newswire story also included a similar ranking of reputations among 28 of the state’s leading private nonprofit organizations; UST was ranked No. 5.
- “Obituary: Orvin (Ole) Olson, park board member during Dutch elm crisis,” Star Tribune, Jan. 6, 2003. Olson had a master’s degree in business from St. Thomas.
- “Area college report: Toms’ Fritz quietly joins elite list,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 8, 2003. A nice profile of UST men’s basketball coach and athletic director Steve Fritz.
- “WorkTrends survey uncovers optimism in U.S. workforce,” PR Newswire, Star Tribune, Jan. 9, 2003. Ron James of the Center for Ethical Business Cultures is quoted in this wire story.
- “Shopping: The art of regifting,” Star Tribune, Jan. 9, 2003. Dr. Dave Brennan of the UST Marketing Department is quoted.
- "Layoff pace increases in Minnesota," Minnesota Public Radio, Jan. 9, 2003. UST’s Dr. Fred Zimmerman, Programs in Engineering and Technology Management, is quoted. http://news.mpr.org/features/2003/01/09_olsond_unemployed/
- "Sid Hartman: Pohlad remains unappreciated," Star Tribune, Jan. 10, 2003. Hartman also notes, "Former Gophers athletic director Mark Dienhart, now a vice president at the University of St. Thomas, said some alumni have tried to push the school into going to a Division I college basketball program, but that it won’t, at least in the near future." http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/3582992.html
- "Layoff pace increases in Minnesota,&
quot; Minnesota Public Radio, Jan. 9, 2003. UST’s Dr. Fred Zimmerman, Programs in Engineering and Technology Management, is quoted.