UST in the news
Here’s a roundup of recent St. Thomas mentions of interest in various media.
Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, so be sure to read stories soon if you’re interested. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access the stories.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at email@example.com.
- “College sports,” Star Tribune, Feb. 1, 2006. “Pipers sweep Tommies: Hamline’s women’s basketball team defeated St. Thomas 69-66 Saturday and completed a two-game sweep of the Tommies this season. It’s the Pipers’ first sweep of the Tommies in 20 seasons. Entering the season, the Pipers had lost 38 consecutive games to the Tommies. The Pipers defeated St. Thomas 65-57 on Dec. 5.” http://www.startribune.com/513/story/217814.html
- “Colleges oppose student fee,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Feb. 1, 2006. http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/13759481.htm
- “Colleges alert after 2 armed robberies,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Feb. 1, 2006. http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/states/minnesota/counties/ramsey_county/13759883.htm
- “Reactions vary to restatements,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Feb. 1, 2006. Business columnist Dave Beal writes, “Brian Shapiro, who teaches accounting at the University of St. Thomas, says he’s ‘somewhat reassured’ by the higher number of restatements. ‘My knee-jerk reaction is we’re raking the yard very carefully,’ he says. ‘It’s not just that the auditors are working harder.’” http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/business/columnists/13759314.htm
- “Classroom: The Arctic,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Feb. 2, 2006. Here’s an update on UST alumnus Will Steger and his latest projects. http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/living/education/13769073.htm
- “Augsburg beats Toms for first time since 1985,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Feb. 2, 2006. http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/13769715.htm
- "St. Thomas staff discuss school trip restrictions," St. Paul Pioneer Press, Feb. 4, 2006. http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/living/education/13788529.htm
- “Wendy Wyatt: Just because you can doesn’t mean you should: European papers were wrong to publish cartoons of Islam’s prophet,” Star Tribune, Feb. 5, 2006. Dr. Wendy Wyatt teaches media ethics at St. Thomas . http://www.startribune.com/562/story/225229.html
- “Knights, Tommies tied for 1st,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Feb. 5, 2006. http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/13795648.htm
- “Mover: Janis Verruso,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Feb. 5, 2006. The director of government business development for Minnesota Diversified Industries, a St. Paul-based company offering job opportunities for those with disabilities, is currently enrolled in the UST MBA program. http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/business/13787502.htm
- “Literary calendar,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Feb. 5, 2006. “Children’s lit conference: Saturday is registration deadline for the 14th annual Hubbs Children’s Literature Conference featuring Minnesota authors Mary Casanova and Bruce Lansky, with topics ranging from writing a young-adult novel to new multicultural books and creative storytelling. 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Feb. 25; University of St. Thomas, 2115 Summit Ave., St. Paul; $55; 651-962-4878 or www.stthomas.edu/education/events/hubbs/default.html.” http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/13777215.htm
- “Forum,” Star Tribune, Feb. 6, 2006. Here’s what you need to know to register for the 18th annual Multicultural Forum, hosted by UST’s College of Business and the National Black MBA Association. http://www.startribune.com/535/story/225121.html
- “Outside consultant,” Star Tribune, Feb. 6, 2006. In this weekly column, answers to business-related questions are provided by UST’s John M. Morrison Center for Entrepreneurship. http://www.startribune.com/535/story/223201.html
- “911 Tape May Offer New Clues In 15-Year-Old Murder,” WCCO-TV, Feb. 6, 2006. Theresa Johnson was a sophomore at St. Thomas when she was murdered in her parents’ Bloomington home in 1991.” http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_037144242.html
- “New faces needed to engineer future of the U.S.,” Star Tribune, Feb. 7, 2006. Business columnist Neal St. Anthony writes, “[Mahati] Chintapalli has participated in a science and engineering camp sponsored by the University of St. Thomas. The dean of the St. Thomas engineering school, R.J. Bennett, would love for her to attend St. Thomas, one of several engineering schools in the state. … William Wulf, president of the National Academy of Engineering, said last month in an address at St. Thomas that there will be a need for about 1 million entry-level engineers over the next decade.” http://www.startribune.com/1069/story/230075.html
- “Professor says it’s time to take on ‘decent guy’ Sabo,” Star Tribune, Feb. 7, 2006. “Jack Nelson-Pallmeyer, a St. Thomas University peace and justice professor, is announcing this morning that he’s going to run for the U.S. Congress.” http://www.startribune.com/465/story/230218.html
- “Seminary had concerns in ’96 about Erickson, sexual activity,” Star Tribune, Feb. 7, 2006. http://www.startribune.com/462/story/230260.html
- See also: “Priest’s file documents troubles at seminary,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Feb. 7, 2006. http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/13808371.htm
- “St. Thomas, Carleton stay tied atop MIAC,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Feb. 7, 2006. http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/13808298.htm
- “College hockey,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Feb. 7, 2006. “The women’s player of the week in the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference last week was St. Thomas goaltender Katie Jetland, who shut out St. Benedict. Gustavus defender Andrea Peterson, a junior from White Bear Lake who had four goals and four assists in her team’s two recent victories over St. Olaf, was the previous player of the week. The Tommies and Gusties, both 12-0 in conference play, collide this weekend.” http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/sports/13808402.htm