UST in the news
Here’s a roundup of recent stories of interest that mention St. Thomas.
Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, so be sure to read stories soon if you’re interested. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access the stories.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at
- “Taking Business Beyond the Logic of Enlightened Self-Interest: Professor Michael Naughton on Solidarity in a Capitalist System,” Zenit, Jan. 16, 2003. UST’s Dr. Michael Naughton, Theology Department, is interviewed. Zenit is an international news agency; its mission is “to provide objective and professional coverage of events, documents and issues emanating from or concerning the Catholic Church for a worldwide audience, especially the media.” To find this story, go to Zenit’s main page, then look for the Jan. 16 “Daily Dispatches.” http://www.zenit.org
- "Who’s responsible for ‘flooding’ after sale of house that never had problem before?" Pittsburgh (Pa.) Post-Gazette, Jan. 19, 2003. Dr. George Karvel, UST’s Distinguished Chair in Real Estate, wrote this column, distributed by the Knight-Ridder Tribune News Service. It appeared in a number of U.S. newspapers, including this one in Pittsburgh. If you’re on campus, find it on Lexis-Nexus, an electronic database that’s available free, courtesy of the UST Libraries. http://web.lexis-nexis.com/universe/document?_m=9baee6dd36587370d392416ee7a71b30&_docnum=92&wchp=dGLbVlb-lSlAl&_md5=963e1bc00083e59d94d9d7e47a995fcb
- “Business calendar,” Star Tribune, Jan. 19, 2003. http://www.startribune.com/stories/535/3594864.html
- “Cooking up a career,” Star Tribune, Jan. 20, 2003. A culinary arts instructor also has a mini MBA from UST.
- “Retail is reeling: Retailers make adjustments after an unkind holiday shopping,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 21, 2003. Dr. Dave Brennan, of UST’s Institute For Retailing Excellence, is quoted. This story was distributed by Knight Ridder Tribune News Service and appeared in other U.S. newspapers, including the Houston (Texas) Chronicle.
- “Carleton women take MIAC lead,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 21, 2003. The story also includes the highlights of the Tommies’ recent win over Bethel.
- “Area coach focuses on St. Benedict,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 22, 2003. The coach is Glenn Beggin, a St. Thomas alumnus and longtime coach at Irondale High School. He’s applied for the soccer coaching position at St. Ben’s.
- “Consuming interests: Fishbowl or shark bait?” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 22, 2003. UST marketing professor Dr. Dave Brennan is quoted in this consumer story.
- “Tommies get it done,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 23, 2003. Satisfaction: Tommies beat Johnnies in hoops.
- Neal St. Anthony/On Business: Doing Reell good –company’s patience pays off,” Star Tribune, Jan. 24, 2003. UST’s Dr. Fred Zimmerman, Programs in Engineering and Technology Management, is quoted.
- “Can you imagine a Queen of the Snows who is married and has three children …” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 24, 2003. Tommie alumnae and students vie for the St. Paul Winter Carnival’s Queen of the Snows title.