UST in the news
Here’s a roundup of recent St. Thomas mentions of interest in various media.
Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, so be sure to read stories soon if you’re interested. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access the stories.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- “Corporate spotlight: University of St. Thomas,” American Executive, October 2005. American Executive profiles Father Dennis Dease, president of St. Thomas. http://www.redcoatpublishing.com/spotlights/sl_10_05_UniST.asp
- “Seminarian to tackle Rome studies, after 4 years as lineman on UST football team,” The Catholic Spirit, Sept. 15, 2005. Here’s a nice profile of Ben Kessler, a St. John Vianney seminarian and a senior at St. Thomas. http://www.thecatholicspirit.com/archives.php?article=4384
- Education briefs, St. Paul Pioneer Press, Sept. 20, 2005. “The University of St. Thomas will hold information sessions about its master of arts in art history program Oct. 4 at its campuses in downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul. Each session is free and open to the public. The program provides professional preparation for academic, museum and teaching careers in art history. Go to www.stthomas.edu/arthistory for more information.” http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/living/education/12689509.htm
- “Barry D. Cytron: Nazi hunter Wiesenthal also thought about forgiveness,” Star Tribune, Sept. 21, 2005. Columnist Cytron, a rabbi, directs the Jay Phillips Center for Jewish-Christian Learning, a partnership of St. John’s University and the University of St. Thomas. http://www.startribune.com/stories/562/5625777.html
- Sports briefs, St. Paul Pioneer Press, Sept. 21, 2005. “St. Thomas senior Pat Bohn of Plymouth received the MIAC men’s golf athlete of the week honor for winning the St. John’s Men’s Golf Invitational title last weekend by one shot with a 36-hole total of 1-under-par 143.” http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/12702364.htm
- “New program to aid aides in becoming licensed teacher,” Star Tribune, Sept. 22, 2005. The Preparing and Enhancing Teachers (PET) program will run 18 months through the University of St. Thomas and will be tailored for the St. Paul schools. http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/5628325.html
- “Grant will train St. Paul aides as teachers,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Sept. 22, 2005. http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/living/education/12707472.htm
- “Vatican May Bar Gays From Seminaries,” Star Tribune, Sept. 22, 2005. “The Rev. Thomas Krenik, who taught for 10 years in St. Paul Seminary in Minnesota and wrote the guidebook ‘Formation for Priestly Celibacy,’ worries that a blanket ban on gay priest-candidates will re-create the very conditions the Vatican wants to eradicate.” http://www.startribune.com/stories/670/5629885.html
- “Gay Men Ponder Impact of Proposal by Vatican,” The New York Times, Sept. 23, 2005. “Sister Katerina Schuth, a professor at St. Paul ‘s Seminary at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul who studies Catholic seminaries, said there was no evidence for that theory and added, ‘That is reasoning and speculation by people who have not spent any, or much, time in seminaries.’” http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/23/national/23priests.html
- See also: “Ban on Same-Sex Attraction and Sexual Activity Could Be a Crucial Issue for Catholics’ Attitudes,” The New York Times, Sept. 24, 2005. Peter Steinfels writes, “Because solid statistics are not available – interesting in itself – these faculty teams could only pool their opinions on how qualified current seminarians were intellectually. Those estimates were reported in a book published this year, Educating Leaders for Ministry by Victor J. Klimoski, Kevin J. O’Neil and Katarina M. Schuth (Liturgical Press).” http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/24/national/24beliefs.html
- “School offers entrepreneurs a head start,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Sept. 25, 2005. Here’s a story introducing UST’s new Schulze School of Entrepreneurship. http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/business/12726637.htm
- “Badger wins Griak title,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Sept. 25, 2005. “Carleton was the women’s Division III team champion. St. Olaf was third, followed by Gustavus Adolphus (fourth) and St. Thomas (fifth).” http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/12734450.htm
- “Forum: What the wolves have wrought,” Star Tribune, Sept. 26, 2005. Dr. Fred Zimmerman, who teaches in St. Thomas’ School of Engineering and College of Business, reflects on NWA’s bankruptcy. http://www.startribune.com/stories/146/5628528.html
- “Outside consultant,” Star Tribune, Sept. 26, 2005. Dr. Mark Spriggs of the Schulze School of Entrepreneurship answers a business question. http://www.startribune.com/stories/535/5628505.html
- “St. Thomas linebacker: Tackling difficult duty,” Star Tribune, Sept. 27, 2005. “St. Thomas senior linebacker Andrew Ubbelohde has earned the reputation throughout the MIAC as a player who makes the most of his opportunities on the football field.” http://www.startribune.com/stories/513/5636658.html