UST in the news
Here’s a roundup of recent St. Thomas mentions of interest in various media.
Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, so be sure to read stories soon if you’re interested. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access the stories.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- “Enrollment at St. John Vianney seminary increasing sharply,” The Catholic Spirit, Sept. 8, 2005. http://www.thecatholicspirit.com/archives.php?article=4340
- “Empty place honors POW/MIAs,” Star Tribune, Sept. 14, 2005. The ROTC departments of the University of Minnesota and the University of St. Thomas sponsor, and the Vietnam Veterans of America coordinate POW/MIA Recognition Day at the State Capitol Sept. 16. http://www.startribune.com/stories/389/5612852.html and http://www.startribune.com/stories/389/5612851.html
- “MIAC, WIAC seasons open tonight,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Sept. 14, 2005. The UST volleyball team gets some ink: “St. Thomas is at unbeaten Concordia (Moorhead ) in the top matchup as the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference season begins tonight with six matches. Concordia (6-0) is ranked No. 15 in NCAA Division III and is led by 6-foot-2 junior middle hitter Becca Shane, a returning All-American, who averages 3.67 kills a game. The Tommies (6-2) are hitting .296 and are led by Erika Wetzel (.340 average) … .” http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/12641770.htm
- “Local football players honored,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Sept. 15, 2005. “St. Thomas defensive tackle Ben Kessler and Bethel wide receiver A.J. Parnell were named to the 2005 American Football Coaches Association Good Works Team.” http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/12647752.htm
- “Catholic schools open doors to displaced students,” The Catholic Spirit, Sept. 15, 2005. “The College of St. Catherine, the University of St. Thomas and St. Mary’s University all have admitted students who were displaced from universities in the hurricane region. … St. Thomas is hosting several fund-raisers, including a Mardi Gras event and special collections at Masses.” http://www.thecatholicspirit.com/archives.php?article=4368
- “Chief Justice Nominee Speaks Volumes, While Saying Little,” The New York Times, Sept. 16, 2005. Patrick Schiltz of the UST School of Law is quoted. http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/16/politics/politicsspecial1/16roberts.html
- “Can Your Daughter Get An Abortion Without You Knowing? The Battle Over California ‘s Proposition 73,” Ignatius Insight, Aug. 8, 2005. Teresa Collett of the UST School of Law is quoted. http://www.ignatiusinsight.com/features2005/vs_righttoknow_aug05.asp
- “Hmong women gaining by degrees,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Sept. 16, 2005. “Laura Lee, 20, says her father came from a very traditional family – "for them growing up, it wasn’t OK that girls succeeded in school; it was more of a man’s job" – yet he taught his own daughters early that education was very important. Her older sister is a college graduate, her younger sisters are in college and she’s a junior at the University of St. Thomas , studying journalism.” http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/living/education/12656738.htm
- “Mall hopes store rebounds sales,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Sept. 17, 2005. “University of St. Thomas marketing professor Dave Brennan agreed, saying, ‘At this point they (Brookdale) are trying to forestall an erosion of tenants and traffic at the mall. Steve & Barry’s is an important element but not big enough to do that, in and of itself.’” http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/business/12667730.htm
- “Target, Best Buy taking care of Gulf Coast workers,” Star Tribune, Sept. 18, 2005. “Looking out for workers is the right and the smart thing to do, said David Rodbourne, vice president of the Center for Ethical Business Cultures, an affiliate of the University of St. Thomas in Minneapolis.” http://www.startribune.com/stories/535/5619278.html
- “Literary calendar,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Sept. 18, 2005. The calendar notes a St. Thomas event. http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/entertainment/books/12655636.htm
- MIAC football scores, St. Paul Pioneer Press, Sept. 18, 2005. http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/12675132.htm
- “Weekly planner,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Sept. 18, 2005. The calendar of business-related events includes one from the College of Business. http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/business/12666252.htm
- “Career calendar,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Sept. 18, 2005. Note events at the UST College of Business and the UST School of Education. http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/business/12656256.htm
- “Career calendar,” Star Tribune, Sept. 19, 2005. The calendar includes a note about UST’s School of Education info session. http://www.startribune.com/stories/192/5617702.html
- Men’s golf and soccer scores, St. Paul Pioneer Press, Sept. 19, 2005. http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/12682947.htm