St. Thomas undergraduate students are invited to participate in a Theology Essay Contest sponsored by the Theology Department. A first prize of $150 and two runner-up prizes of $75 each will be awarded.
Papers on any theological topic will be accepted. Revised course papers are acceptable.
Theology essay format instructions:
1. The essays must have a maximum length of 15 pages, not including a bibliography, typed and double spaced with standard margins on 8-and-a-half-by-11-inch paper.
2. Quotations of five or more typewritten lines should be single spaced and block indented without quotation marks.
3. Papers must include appropriate reference notes and a separate bibliography. Reference notes and the bibliography must conform to a standard style sheet. A sample style sheet is available from the Theology Department secretary in Room 300, Aquinas Hall.
4. The judges will use the following criteria in evaluating essays submitted for the contest. The criteria are listed in their order of importance.
- Soundness of argument (definition of terms, presentation of thesis, use of evidence, clarity of thought and conclusion).
- Academic merit (accurate use of primary sources and appropriate use of secondary sources where applicable).
- Literary merit (grammatical correctness and clarity of style).
- Creativity of thought.
5. The paper submission shall include two title pages. The first, bearing the title only, should be attached to the paper. The second title page, including the author’s name, should be submitted separately. The author’s name should not appear on the manuscript. In the judging process, a “blind read” refereeing procedure will be followed in which the reader of the essays will not know the authors’ names.
6. Submit four copies of your entry, together with the two title pages, to the Theology Department office. Papers that do not follow these formatting instructions will be returned for correction and resubmittal. No papers will be accepted after 4 p.m. Monday, Feb. 28, 2000.
For more information, call Dr. Joseph Hallman, (651) 962-5347, or Laurie Dimond, (651) 962-5300.