If you’ve ever found the online comments more interesting than the stories on a news site, mark your calendar for a panel discussion next week.
The UST Department of Communication and Journalism, the Minnesota News Council and the Minnesota Society of Professional Journalists will host a panel presentation, “The Comment Conundrum,” from 7 to 9 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 29, in 3M Auditorium, Room 150, Owens Science Hall.
Panelists will examine these questions:
- What are news outlets doing to ensure civil discourse on their sites?
- What happens when inappropriate content is posted on comment sites?
- What are the legal ramifications for news outlets and for the commenters?
- What draws readers to comment on stories?
- Which sites have the best and worst commenters?
- David Brauer, MinnPost.com (moderator)
- Mike Knaak, assistant managing editor, St. Cloud Times
- Terry Sauer, assistant managing editor-digital, Star Tribune
- Leita Walker, associate, Faegre & Benson
The event is free and open to the public.
For more information, contact Wendy Wyatt, UST Communication and Journalism Department, (651) 962-5253.