UST welcomes the public to the music performances listed below. All will be held on the university’s St. Paul campus unless noted otherwise. Admission is free. For more information, call the St. Thomas Music Department, (651) 962-5850.
Important note: Spring is “recital season” for many student musicians, and best-laid recital plans often change as artists prepare for their big performances. If you plan to attend a student recital, please double-check with the performer or with the university’s College of Arts and Sciences’ Music Department, (651) 962-5850, for schedule updates.
- 7 p.m. Saturday, May 1, in Brady Educational Center auditorium: Student Alex Maiers gives a guitar recital.
- 4 p.m. Sunday, May 2, in the Chapel of St. Thomas Aquinas: St. Thomas’ Handbell Choir gives a concert, featuring sacred and secular music presented on five octaves of handbells and handchimes.
- 4:30 p.m. Monday, May 3, in Brady Educational Center auditorium: Student Abigail Saffert presents a voice recital.
- 5 p.m. Wednesday, May 5: Student Kristine Paulfranz gives a voice recital.
- 8:15 p.m. Thursday, May 6, in the Chapel of St. Thomas Aquinas: The Festival Choir concert features St. Thomas students performing with Twin Cities professional orchestral musicians. The program, Mozart’s Requieum, features soloists from the university’s graduate programs in music education: Kate Larson, soprano; Karen Lutgen, alto; Christopher Larson, tenor; and Bryan Blessing, bass. Dr. Angela Broeker conducts.
- 8 p.m. Friday, May 7, at The O’Shaughnessy, St. Catherine University, 2004 Randolph Ave.: The UST Bands premiere “Zebulon” by Gregory Fritze, featuring guitar soloist Dr. Christopher Kachian of the UST Music Department faculty. The concert also features the music of Colgrass, Mahr, Nelson, Rincon, Silva, Strauss, Ursicino de Silva and Vaughn Williams. Conductors are Dr. Matthew George and Dr. Douglas Orzolek of the UST Music Department and Brazilian guest conductor Dario Sotelo.
- 1 p.m. Saturday, May 8, in Brady Educational Center auditorium: Percussionist Ben Valle presents a student recital.
- 5 p.m. Sunday, May 8, in Brady Educational Center auditorium: Students Casey Johnson (voice) and Taylor Bakken (piano) give a recital.
- 8 p.m. Tuesday, May 11, in Brady Educational Center auditorium: St. Thomas’ Instrumental Jazz Ensembles give a spring concert.
- 8 p.m. Wednesday, May 12, in Brady Educational Center auditorium: The 21-member UST Guitar Ensemble gives a spring concert. It features music by Vivaldi and The Beatles as well as indie rock covers and jazz standards.
- 5:15 p.m. Thursday, May 13, in Brady Educational Center auditorium: Students Brianna Velzke and Rose Miron give a voice recital
- 2 p.m. Sunday, May 16, in Brady Educational Center auditorium: Josh King, bass, gives a student recital.
- 7 p.m. Tuesday, May 18, in Brady Educational Center auditorium: Student Elise Kern gives a voice recital.
- 5 p.m. Saturday, May 22, in Brady Educational Center auditorium: Andrea Olson, piano, gives a student recital.