Colleges Against Cancer is putting on a March Madness playoff-style competition to encourage registered Relay for Life teams to raise more money for the event. Each week, registered teams will compete against each other to raise the most money and move on to the next round.
All of the teams will start fundraising today, Monday, March 5. The preliminary round of the competition will continue through March 16. The 32 teams that raise the most money during this time will be placed in competition brackets, which will be hung in mid-March in the Anderson Student Center atrium.
Teams in competition brackets will begin competing against each other on Saturday, March 17. As the best fundraising teams advance through their brackets, the team that raises the most money each week will receive a team prize as well as prizes for each member of the team.
Winners will be announced at the Relay for Life, which will start at 6 p.m. Friday, April 20, in the Anderson Athletic and Recreation Complex field house.
To participate in Relay for Life March Madness, teams must be registered online by Friday, March 9.
March Madness competition dates
- March 5-16 – Preliminary round – the top 32 teams that have raised the most money at this point will make it into the competition brackets.
- March 17-23 – Round 1 – Teams compete during the week to raise more money than their opponents; funds raised prior to March 17 will not count. Sixteen teams will advance to Round 2.
- March 24-30 – Round 2 – Same rules as previous week. Eight teams will advance to the quarterfinals.
- March 31-April 6 – Quarterfinals – Same rules as previous weeks. Four teams will advance to the semifinals.
- April 7-13 – Semifinals – Same rules as previous weeks. Two teams will advance to the finals.
- April 14-20 – Finals – The top two fundraising teams compete to raise the most money during the week, including the night of the relay on Friday, April 20.