St. Thomas’ Center for Student Leadership and Activities has begun a new program to recognize members of the UST community who have distinguished themselves through exceptional personal or group leadership, vision and service: the Spirit of St. Thomas ceremony.
Eight awards will be presented at the ceremony, which begins at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 3, in the Chapel of St. Thomas Aquinas.
Nomination materials are available in the CSLA office, Room 111, Murray-Herrick Campus Center. Any student, faculty or staff member is welcome to nominate any other student, faculty or staff member for an award. Completed nomination forms are due in the CSLA office at 4 p.m. Thursday, April 20; they can be delivered or mailed to Mail #4024.
Awards to be presented are:
- Clubs That Excel: Sponsored by the All College Council, this award recognizes clubs and organizations that have done exemplary work during the past year in areas of service and programming. The winners are awarded $500 in club funds.
- Adviser of the Year: Sponsored by Omicron Delta Kappa, this award is presented to the club adviser who has been most instrumental to an organization’s success this year.
- Senior Contribution to Leadership: Sponsored by CSLA, this $1,000 award is presented to a senior who has demonstrated exceptional leadership. The successful nominee will be a "model" UST student, has served and enriched the UST community through his/her involvement, and has demonstrated personal growth as a result of that involvement.
- Heart of St. Thomas: This award, sponsored by the Dean of Student Life Office, is presented to students, staff or faculty who have gone beyond the norm in helping others in the St. Thomas community. This help may be in the form of random acts of kindness, by simply helping an individual in a time of need, by creating special programs that aid or instruct members of the community, or simply by helping others in our community in a variety of other ways.
- New Student Organization of the Year: Sponsored by CSLA, this award is presented to the student club or organization that has been officially registered with the CSLA office for fewer than four semesters, has most significantly influenced positive growth of its individual members and has enhanced the UST community by representing the best that UST students have to offer.
- Executive Excellence Award: Sponsored by the Center for Student Leadership and Activities, this award goes to the student executive board member or elected officer of an individual club or organization who has demonstrated exceptional dedication to fostering shared vision and goals within the organization and has been instrumental in the support and development of club members.
- Outstanding Members of the Year: Sponsored by the Center for Student Leadership and Activities, this award recognizes the student club or organization member who does not hold an elected or appointed position, but who has demonstrated exemplary commitment to the growth and development of the organization and its members during the year.
- Community Citizenship Award: Sponsored by the Center for Student Leadership & Activities, this award recognizes a student club or organization for a service project that has most had a significant impact on a community agency, its clients and club/organization members.
For further information about the Spirit of St. Thomas ceremony or individual awards, please call the CSLA office, (651) 962-6130.