Spring is comin’ — you gotta believe! Even though we’re up to our knees in snow, spring can’t be far off. After all, it’s already time for Spring Fling Week.
Sponsored by St. Thomas Activities and Recreation, Spring Fling Week is March 5-9. Here’s a list of all the fun to be had and food to be eaten:
- 11 a.m. in the Grill, Murray-Herrick Campus Center: Chicken kabobs and fries are served for $3.50 until they’re gone.
- 7:30 p.m. in O’Shaughnessy Educational Center auditorium: Up-and-coming comedian Daniel Tosh takes the stage. Originally from Los Angeles, Tosh jokes about college, popular culture and life in your early 20s. You could use a few laughs — enjoy these free, followed by a screening of “Charlie’s Angels.” The evening open to the public, so bring friends, too.
Tuesday, March 6
- 11 a.m.-1 p.m. in Foley Plaza: Eat your first grilled-outside burgers of the season. Pay cash outside or buy a ticket at the Grill with your card.
Wednesday, March 7
- 11 a.m. in the Grill: Popcorn chicken and fries are on sale for $3.75 until they’re gone. Choose regular or buffalo.
- 6:30 p.m. in Room 126 (auditorium), John R. Roach Center for the Liberal Arts: Expeditions sponsors a winter-survival clinic (think we need one?). Learn winter-survival skills, how to treat hypothermia and other helpful hints. After the clinic, stay for a showing of the movie, “Alive.” The clinic and movie are free and open to the UST community.
Thursday, March 8
- Noon in Scooter’s: Martin Zellar and the Hardways perform! The event is free and open to the UST community. Zellar first achieved national fame as the front man for the Gear Daddies. Since then the Austin, Minn., native has released two solo albums, "Born Under" and "Martin Zellar and the Hardways." In 1998 he released a solo effort, "The Many Moods of Martin Zellar and the Hardways," on his own label, Owen/Lee Recordings.
- The Red Bull promo car will be here this week. The energy drink will be available in the Grill for $2.50.
Friday, March 9
- Wake up too late for breakfast? You can get breakfast all day at the Grill today. All lunch items will be available, too, except for hamburgers, hamburger combos and patty melts.
- 9 p.m. at Canterbury Park in Shakopee: Dance the night away until 1 a.m. at the Spring Fling dance, complete with a fireworks show that begins at 9:45 p.m. Tickets are on sale now in the UST Box Office. Until March 6, tickets are $12; from March 7 to 9, tickets will be $15. Only 3,000 tickets will be available. Bring your ID when you go to purchase tickets; each UST student may purchase a ticket for himself or herself and one for a guest.
Bus transportation will be provided. Buses will pick up in Lot H and run continuously beginning at 8:30 p.m. If you choose to drive to the dance and need directions, call (651) 962-6136 or the STAR events line, (651) 962-6196.
Snacks and beverages will be provided at the dance. Students who are 21 or older and plan to drink at the dance are asked to bring a valid photo ID. Student IDs will not be accepted for this purpose.