The English Department is accepting submissions for its annual essay contest. Three $75 cash prizes will be awarded to the writers of the:
- Best ENGL 110 Intensive Writing essay
- Best ENGL 111 Critical Reading and Writing I or ENGL 112 Critical Reading and Writing II essay
- Best ENGL 190 Critical Reading and Writing essay
- The contest is open to all University of St. Thomas students enrolled in ENGL 110, 111, 112 or 190 during the 2010-11 academic year.
- Submissions must respond to literature in some way and should not consist entirely of narrative without reflection.
- Submissions must include a rough draft that demonstrates substantial revision.
- No more than two submissions are permitted per student.
A panel of three English Department faculty members will judge the essays. If a particular category (ENGL 110, ENGL 111/112, or ENGL 190) does not receive a minimum number of entries, it may be excluded by the faculty judges and no prize will be awarded in that category.
Format for submission
Essays should be typed and double-spaced. Paperclip the formal essay pages together – do not staple – and attach your rough draft to the back of the essay by paperclip. Since it will be judged blindly, do not include your name on the essay, just a title. With your essay, submit a cover sheet that includes your name, the essay title, the class for which the essay was written, the instructor’s name, and your on-campus mail number.
You have the option of discussing your essay submission with your instructor for revisions and suitability. Submitted essays will not be returned.
The deadline for submission is 3 p.m. Friday, March 18, 2011. Essays can be delivered to the English Department in Room 333, John R. Roach Center for the Liberal Arts.
Questions about the contest can be referred to the English Department, (651) 962-5600. Contest criteria and rules also are available on the English Department website.