Nonexempt (hourly) employees are invited to nominate themselves or colleagues to serve as candidates in the upcoming Nonexempt Staff Council election.
NESC is looking for energetic individuals from a variety of departments and service areas who are interested in advancing NESC’s mission to build a strong and healthy workplace by fostering communication with the university’s administration, advocating for common interests, focusing on cooperation, and building community within the university.
Because NESC serves and advocates for all hourly employees, it encourages people from all departments and campus locations to consider running for election. The nomination deadline is Tuesday, Feb. 14.
NESC members serve two-year terms and generally devote two to five hours per month to council duties, which include attending monthly meetings, serving on university committees, coordinating social events for nonexempt staff, working on council management projects, representing the council at UST events, and organizing the annual Nonexempt Staff Appreciation Breakfast
Because council members provide an important service to the university, NESC activities will be considered part of an employee’s duties, and supervisors will approve NESC-related absences. Those who serve also have the opportunity to learn more about UST while meeting colleagues from throughout the campus community.
Serving on the council does require a commitment of time and energy but the benefits are plentiful, notes council member Kathy Sauro, Schulze School of Entrepreneurship.
- Nomination deadline – Tuesday, Feb. 14
- Nominees contacted about willingness to run – Feb. 15-21
- Nominee bio deadline – Monday, Feb. 27
- Call for online voting – Wednesday, Feb. 29
- Voting deadline – Wednesday, March 14
- New NESC members announced at Nonexempt Staff Appreciation Breakfast – Wednesday, March 28
To nominate yourself or a nonexempt co-worker
- Online: Visit the Nonexempt Staff Council website. Click on the “Questions? Comments? Write us!” link and enter the nominee’s name and department in the comment section.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail: Send to NESC Election, Mail SCH435.
For more information call Kathy Sauro, (651) 962-4149, or Christine Igielski, NESC president, (651) 962-5727.